Chapter One

Heta-Tale: The Monster's Heart (RusCan)

Chapter One

The rumors have been around for decades.

The rumors of a monster in a man's body, a man without a heart. He lives far away in an old abandoned house that once housed a family. The curtains were always close, no one ever came in or out. They say he lives in that dark Victorian house surrounded by a high metal fence no one could ever climb. There was no path to the house, the fence surrounded the property of the home. There was just one very odd thing about it, there was no lawn. Instead stones made up for it and surrounded the house, sometimes little pieces of grass would peek through but it was all stone. The front door was nailed closed so it seemed like there was no way in, neither was there a way in through the fence.

It scared the children of this town. The legend stayed around for years and struck curiosity. Every once in a while, a group of kids would go to the house and try to climb the gate or look into the house, only to come home frightened and pale. No one knew what was inside that house, the heartless monster that lived there. No one ever dared to try...

So then, why is this monster here? No one really knows... But... if you ever get the unfortunate chance of climbing over that fence, they say he grabs you right there and your gone! What does he do? No one really knows. If you're caught, you'll never come out. Some say he eats you by ripping your body apart, others say he tortures you, but the most known rumor is that he takes your heart as his own. He physically rips your beating heart out of your body, listening to your cries and screams of pain, and places it inside his own body to replace the one he had lost. He never finds a new one though.

"Al! Stop that's scary!" Little Peter cried a bit as he held a pillow over his ears. "Scary..."

"I-I agree." Kiku gulped a bit.

"Kiku, did they ever have scary stories like that in Japan?" Peter asked.

"H-hai, they did, but none of them have ever been true."

"Well this one is true!" Alfred stated. "It's as true as it could possibly be!"

"You just told the story to scare Peter." Matthew sat in the corner of the room reading his book as the other three boys stayed on Alfred's bed in a circle. "That story isn't true, there's no such thing as monsters."

"But he's a person!" Peter held onto his pillow tighter.

"Whether he's a person or a monster, its just a story." Matthew put his book aside.

"Oh yeah! Well the house is real!" Alfred stated.

"Yeah, the house is real and it's abandoned." Matthew looked at him. "But there's nothing inside, its just a story the kids in the neighborhood made up years ago to entertain themselves and scare their little siblings, like you're doing."

"My dad used to go to that house!" Peter said.

"Yeah, Arthur-" Alfred could see Peter's dirty look. "My step-dad went to that house when he was a teenager. He never talks about it but he said it was the scariest moment of his entire life." Alfred crossed his arms. "Why would he say that if he didn't see anything?"

"He's probably just trying to scare you." Matthew stuck to his thoughts. "There's no such thing as monsters." He finished his statement and went back to his book. Alfred pouted and stood up on the bed.

"I'll prove it!" Alfred claimed. "Lets go! Let's go to the house! It's down the street!"

"W-What?" Kiku suddenly felt fear running down his spine.

"If there's nothing there, Mattie is right and there's nothing to be afraid of." Alfred smiled. "Let's prove it." Matthew once again put down his book. "Let's go!"

OOO

The house was indeed real, and spooky at that. The rumors were true, it was an old Victorian house surrounded by the fence, the lawn was actually stoned. The four boys came up to the fence and grabbed onto it, trying to get a look at the house. All four of the boys gulped as they stared at the core of the house. "So who's going to be the one to climb the fence?" Alfred asked, the three others boys gulped and shook their heads. "How about you Peter? You're small."

"N-No way!" Poor Peter was shaking in his boots. "No way in hell!"

"Yeah, your dad would kill me, ha~" He looked toward Kiku and Matthew. "Shall we?" The two nodded and stood up straight and looked at each other. "Not it!"

"Not it!" Kiku was the second to yell and Matthew followed with his voice. Kiku and Alfred looked at him though, Alfred smiling with pleasure, as Matthew frowned. "You're going over." Matthew looked back at the house, there was no monster, so why was he so afraid?

"Fine. I'll prove to you that there's nothing there." Matthew stated. Kiku stood in front of the gate and Alfred carefully climbed on Kiku's back and sat on his shoulders, Kiku always could handle Alfred's weight. Kiku bent down a bit as well as Alfred for Matthew to climb up on. He gulped a bit and began to climb, sitting on Alfred's shoulders as they lifted him up. He reached the top of the sharp edged fence and held onto the bars as they held him up.

"Go ring the door bell." Peter called. Matthew got his grip on the bars and began to pull himself over until Kiku's legs gave out. Just as Matthew began getting over the fence, Kiku fell and dropped Alfred to the ground with him. Matthew stayed dangling on the top of the fence. He tried pulling himself back onto his friend's side but he lost balance and fell onto the stone yard face first.

"Matthew!" Alfred called. The two quickly got up on their feet and put their hands on the fence. "Mattie! Get up!" Matthew laid on the ground not moving, he couldn't. He had hit his head on the stones and passed out, he even bled. Alfred directed Kiku to get him back up on his shoulders to put Peter up and put him over to get Mat, but Peter refused and backed away. They called for the boy to get up but he still didn't move. Alfred tried reaching in his arm through the fence but Matthew was too far away.

Slowly, he came back to consciousness and looked up with blurry sight. He grabbed onto his glasses a few inches away from them and put them on before turning off his side and onto his back. He could barely hear his friends calling for him as he tried to get up but fell back down as dizziness overwhelmed him. He could feel the blood dripping down the side of his face from the wound on his head and tried wiping it away. Suddenly, the voices of his friends had stopping yelling for him. He tried looking up toward them and could barely make out their pale fearsome faces. "M-Mat... D-don't turn around..." Alfred gulped. Fear overwhelmed Matthew as he gulped and slowly turned his hear around.

There it was...

He could only see the monster's glowing violet eyes through all the darkness and blurriness. But he could tell the beast was tall, he was there, and his eyes were looking right at him. Matthew's body began to feel numb and his heart almost stopped from the fear. He shook as the beast's hand began to reach for him. He could only hear Alfred yelling: RUN! Matthew stumbled to get up and tried running away across the stones, but an uneven one tripped him and he fell again. His head pounded and he could barely focus or even breath anymore. Darkness began to overwhelm his vision as he began to fall back onto the ground. He couldn't move anymore, his body felt to weak, the wound to his head overwhelmed his entire body. He was done...

The last things he could hear was Alfred still yelling at him to move and run... but it all became silent within seconds...