Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Papa?…"

"Ah! Y-yeah! I'm here!"

Little Matthew's eyes slowly opened to the image of his father standing over him, his face pale as a ghost and his eyes red like he had been crying for hours. His long blonde hair fell in front of his face in which he had to push it away, he reached his hand down onto the child's little head. "Papa… what happened…"

"I can't… I can't describe it to you…"

"Where's Alfred?… what happened to Alfred?…"

"Your friend is fine, you don't have to worry about him, oui?"

"Where's that guy?… where's the guy with the gun?…"

His father's voice chocked, "H-he's gone, you don't have to worry about him either… M-Matthew, just don't move too much and rest, oui?"

"O-Okay papa…"

OOO

"What's this?" Little Matthew titled his head toward the animal, a small stuffed bear. He was soft, fluffy, Matthew just wanted to hold onto it and not let it go. He looked up to his father. "It's for me?"

"Oui, it's for you." His father said and petted his son's head. "It's a polar bear, you like the artic animals right?"

"Yeah! Polar bear!" Matthew hugged onto it more, it fit perfectly in his small arms. "I'm gonna name him Kumajirou okay?"

"Why Kumajirou?"

"Cause Kumajiri is a good name!"

"I-I thought you said Kumajirou?…"

"Eh? Oh, it's Kumatiro." Matthew smiled. "Right Kumayuro?" he looked at the small bear like it would talk back as he father only stood there in confusion. Matthew smiled and held onto the bear, then looked up at his father. "Papa, when can I take Kumagiro home?"

"U-um… soon." His father's expression changed. "The doctors just want to make sure you're well enough to go home, oui?"

Matthew nodded. "And what about Alfred? Is he home yet? Or is he still around the hospital?"

"He's, um, he's going home maybe tomorrow."

"I want to go home with him! I wanna see Alfred papa."

"You will, very soon…" His father kissed his forehead. "It's late, you should sleep." Matthew settled himself in his hospital bed, he still couldn't sleep on his side without feeling intense pain. He laid there flat on his back with his bear close to him in his arms as his father placed the blankets over him. "I'll be back in the morning okay?"

"Hey papa,"

"Oui?"

"I have a question… I don't think you're going to like it…"

His father sat on the side of the bed and softly smiled "It's okay, you can ask it."

"Why do people do bad things?… you said that guy was a bad guy, why did he do bad things?" Matthew asked innocently but the smile on his father had disappeared, he looked like he was going to cry, like he couldn't handle the question.

"That's a good question…" His father gulped. "Sometimes… Sometimes, people are cruel… Not all of the world is peaceful and spread love like I do…" He took a deep breathe, he couldn't understand how to put this into words to someone who was only six years old. "Some people just want to watch other people suffer… their very bad people… they want to be cruel… they love that feeling. Those people exist, that bad man was one of them… you can call those people… "demons"…"