Flat-line

Sorry for the delay in the update...I have two stories I'm trying to write at the same time!!

Stef's POV

Mariana's breathe came in sharp bursts as she held her stomach. The man's eyes widened. He obviously didn't mean to actually shoot anyone.

I watched as Lena fussed over her, trying to help add pressure to the bullet wound.

"She needs help." I told The Man. "And she needs it fast. You don't want her death over your head, do you?"

He didn't say anything as he grabbed his hair.

"I..."

"If she dies, do you understand how much more trouble you're going to be in? Murder is not taken lightly. You have to-"

"Shut up and let me think!" he shouted.

I obeyed, watching Mariana out of the corner of my eye.

Lena caught my gaze. I saw the fear in her eyes and knew I had to do something. Fast.

"I can't let you out now." The Man said suddenly. "If I walk out, they're going to kill me."

"Not if you surrender!" I told him. "But if my daughter dies..."

I let my voice trail off, leaving him to finish the sentence in his mind. Let's let him use his imagination.

He looked at me.

"No." he said suddenly.

Without warning, he held the gun to his own head.

There were gasps behind me. I noticed that Callie was once against conscious and leaning against Lena, her face pale.

"That's not necessary." I said calmly. "Put the gun down. If you surrender, they won't shoot you."

"Who cares?" he yelled. "I can't spend the rest of my life in prison!"His finger tightened around the trigger.

"T-there's plea deals." I told him. "If you put the gun down, and let everyone walk out of here, we can talk about it."

His hand was shaking. And I knew he was considering it.

"But you have to make sure, nobody dies." I said, referring to Mariana.

His gun lowered slightly. "I-I.."

I lunged forward, knocking the gun out of his hands. He grabbed my arm as I tried to grab it.

Sneering, he pushed me back so that I fell onto the couch, beside Callie.

He picked his gun up from the floor and aimed it at me.

"That was incredibly stupid." he spat. "You just put your whole family's death on your hands."

I felt Callie stiffen beside me. I rested my hand on her leg, trying to, without talking, comfort her.

His hand tightened around the trigger and I shrank back, squeezing Callie's hand.

There was movement behind him. Distracted, he turned around, only to get knocked to the floor to a blow to the head.

I acted quickly, springing forward to grab the gun. I pointed it at him as he lay, moaning on the ground.

Brandon lowered the lamp, looking at us.

"How long has he been here?" He asked. "I came down because I heard a gunshot. I told Jude and Jesus to stay upstairs. Has he been here all night?"

I nodded. gun still pointed at The Man on the floor.

"Get up, I ordered, pulling out my handcuffs.

He slowly got to his feet, glaring at me. I forced his hand behind his back, handcuffing them together.

Officers rushed into the room, obviously given the word that everything was clear to enter.

They grabbed him off of me and escorted him, cursing, out of the room.

The danger now gone, I rushed over to Mariana.

She had lost a lot of blood and breathing was getting increasingly difficult for her.

"You're going to be alright." I told her, pushing her hair out of her face and kissing her temple.

She nodded, not even trying to speak at this point.

I wrapped my arms around her, picking her up. I preceded to carry her outside to where an ambulance was waiting. Her head was resting against my chest.

"Just hang in there." I told her as the EMT took her from me and placed her in the stretcher.

"I'm going to ride with her!" I called to my family, climbing into the ambulance after her.

"We'll meet you there! I love you!" Lena called back, as the doors closed.

I squeezed Mariana's hand, before moving out of the way to let the team work on her.

Her breathing was growing more and more shallow.

"Hang in there." I told her again as the team struggled to help her breathe.

I watched horrified, as her heart rate grew slower and slower. Before flat-lining.

"Do something!" I begged them as they scrambled to revive her. They shocked her once. Twice. Nothing.

Come on, Mariana!

After the third time, I felt tears sting my eyes.

Oh God, no...

"Please." I whispered, my heart in my throat.

They shocked her again.

The heart monitor came back to life, beeping steadily.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God...

We pulled up to the hospital then.