13 | conversations

چو تو تلخ گویی، همان است پاسخ
عدوگاه دشنام شکر نخاید
When you speak bitterly, the answer will be the same
If you curse an enemy, he won't reply sweetly

Wednesday - 2:05pm

"You're his wife." Mehmal said and a nerve ignited in Hemayal's heart but she refused to pay a heed, a thing she had been doing for a lifetime now.

"Unwillingly, you forgot to add. And don't remind me of that, please." Hemayal's clipped reply only made Mehmal drop her head in sheer annoyance.

"Give it up already, Hemayal. Give it up, for heaven's sake." Mehmal shook her head, slight tinge of anger evident in her voice.

"Excuse me? Am I not right?" Hemayal's eyebrow shot up as she questioned.

"Yes, you are right, but it was you who said that you are past it, that you have made peace with it, that you have accepted this marriage. Was it not you?" Mehmal asked in a tight voice and Hemayal sighed

The past few days have been too heavy on her - unexpected encounter with Ibrahim, revelation that it was Ibrahim who had kidnapped her, Dadu's painful death, Ibrahim's desire to meet her - and right now, she had no energy left in her to argue with Mehmal, who was hell bent on trying to prove her wrong.

"Things have changed, Mehmal, and they are not going back to normal, if that even was normal." Hemayal drew a shaky breath as she replied, voice low but holding the gravity of entire scenario.

"What changed?" Mehmal was quick to notice the hollowness that came to reside in Hemayal's tone, "Why have you begun to hate him so much?"

"Because, honestly, it the only thing that he deserves - finest form of hatred, unflinching disgust and sheer detestation. Nothing else." Hemayal said, every inch of bitterness in her voice.

"What did that man even do to you? It has been ages since you last saw him, met him, or even talked to him. How can you form such loathsome opinions about him? As far as I know, he is such a gentleman." Mehmal said, clearly hinting at her previous encounter with Ibrahim only a few minutes ago.

"A gentleman?" Hemayal scoffed, an eyebrow rising in mock disgust, "Label him anything you want to, but not a gentleman."

"I met that man a few minutes ago downstairs and he was nothing but a gentleman. I don't know why you have formed such image of him in your mind, and even if you did that, I must tell you that it is a mighty wrong picture, Hami." Mehmal responded.

"That is where you are wrong, Mehmal. That is where you lag behind, because you don't know a thing about what he did. " Hemayal said, a sardonic smile coming to slide across her face.

"What did he do? Please tell me, I really want to know." Mehmal said, inching a little closer at the mystery that resided in Hemayal's tone, her tone however still sarcastic.

It was a moment of complete thought, of deep contemplation, a single glance in the direction of her worried but annoyed cousin when Hemayal decided to reveal her biggest secret, her scariest nightmare, her worst reality.

"It was Ibrahim who kidnapped me, Mehmal. Ibrahim Yazdani, my husband."

Hemayal uttered and Mehmal silenced.

Hemayal revealed and Mehmal shook.

"What?" The smallest of voice that left Mehmal's throat would not have reached Hemayal if she were not sitting too close to her, if she had not been observing her expressions closely.