40 | wedding

Saturday - 9th November

5:32 pm

It was finally 9th.

Hemayal smiled to herself as she sat in front of the mirror, lips curled into a permanent smile of shyness and sheer joy. Billions of nerves in her body and every single one of them was elated, experiencing a kind of happiness she'd never felt before in her entire life.

"I'd never seen you this happy before." Anisha Bhabhi said as she entered the room, clad in an elegantly embroidered white dress, uttering the words so many people had said to Hemayal these past few days.

"I've never been this happy before." Hemayal answered as always, layering her face with bridal make up with little help from Mehmal who was busy painting her own face.

"May you always smile like this!" She exclaimed, hugging her gently from behind before moving ahead to get a clear view of her face.

Although the notes had disturbed a little of her peaceful life, she'd tried and succeeded at not paying much attention to them. Ever since Ibrahim told his friend, Ali, about that situation - she'd been relaxed. If Ali could gather her information within a night, he surely could find the man threatening them.

And besides, it was her wedding day and she wasn't spoiling it for any man who didn't even have the guts to face them openly. This day would never come again in her life and she had every intention of living every moment of it.

"How much more time? Your Lala is getting impatient outside." Anisha Bhabhi said, casting a quick glance at the clock.

They were supposed to leave by six, the arrangements having been made in a hotel nearby. Although, Hemayal and Ibrahim had wanted a private affair with only close friends and family in their lawn, nobody had bothered to listen to them, insisting that they didn't know the dynamics of a wedding. Begrudgingly, they had conceded.

"The make up is done, I'll be ready in about 20 minutes." Hemayal said as she once again resumed the movements of her hand, brushes adding final touch to her look.

"Okay, I'll inform him," Anisha Bhabhi said before hesitating for a moment, her teeth biting her painted lip in a gesture of nervousness. "Baba wants to see you."

"Why does he need permission to see me? Send him in." Hemayal said, rather too cheerfully, for both the ladies turned to look at her with apprehension. "What? I'm getting married. It's time I let go of old problems, I'm sure Ibrahim will give me plenty more to deal with."

Hemayal's joke earned a hefty laughter from the two ladies before Anisha Bhabhi went outside, just as Mehmal turned to her.

"Sure you don't want to run? I can help." Mehmal said, grin dancing on her face, and Hemayal only rolled her eyes.