18 | realities

"These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb."

Monday - 8:33 am

There is only one way to describe life - it doesn't wait for anyone.

It goes on, it has to. Occasionally, it stops and between yanking the ground from under your feet and taking your breath away, it does everything. It finds beautiful ways to prick shard at your heart; it glorifies the pain your heart just cannot get used to but one thing it does not dare do is take away the fragrance of hope we cherish above all.

And in doing that - not taking our hope from us - it does everything.

Sometimes, it takes you by the collar and pushes you forward and sometimes only a gentle reminder is enough but what it always does is whisper in your ear the sheer importance of going on, no matter how lethal the blow was. It ever so beautifully inculcates the spirit of motion in our hearts that we find no chance other than to take a step forward towards normalcy.

And this is what happened with Hemayal Khakwani.

After Dadu's death, she was positive that she would die anytime now too - it was not a matter of if but just when. The blow was right to her soul and not only her breath had caught, her whole life had come to a standstill, her soul included. But after a week without him, she loathed herself for still being alive, cursed herself that she was leading a life without Dadu and was now even coming back to reality.

As a psychiatrist and a strong woman, she knew that life must not be stopped for anyone but as a granddaughter and the person whose most beloved relationship just left her, she really wished it did but when things did not go as per her wish, no choice was left but to inhale a deep breath and move, however difficult it was.

"Hemayal, are you ready?" Hadeed Lala's voice brought her back from the whirlwind of thoughts and emotions she had lost herself in and she came back to reality with a shudder.

"Yeah, why?" Hemayal responded as she sipped in the coffee from the cup held between her hands that only added warmth to the lines of fate on her palm that were all messed up.

Hemayal Khakwani stood behind the window of the lounge that overlooked the lavish lawn ahead, a cup of coffee occasionally reaching her lips as she gazed outside soundlessly. Dressed formally in white cropped pants and dark blue button-up shirt tucked inside the waist with a black jacket covering her form, she had had her height increased by at least a few inches, all credits to the black stilettos that covered her feet. Gazing outside, she spent a few minutes by herself before the world and its realities dawned and she was compelled to return to work.

"I'll drop you." Hadeed Lala came to stand beside Hemayal who had replied without turning around to meet his eyes and now they both gazed outside with same sadness lacing their eyes.

"I have my own car, Lala." Hemayal replied slowly, knowing a little too well why this conversation was going on and where it was headed.

"I know but I want to drive you to the hospital on the first day. Can't I do that?" Hadeed Lala said, looking at Hemayal through the corner of his eyes who only sighed, her eyes closing momentarily.

"Lala, relax. Nothing will happen to me, it's daytime." Hemayal said, inclining her head sideways to look at the man who held nothing in his eyes other than concern.

"I don't want to take any risk, Hami. Now that Dadu's not here, I am the only one left here to look after you. Please let me do that." The man held pain in his words and eyes altogether and Hemayal bit her lips as she regarded his face for a second before nodding.