41 | finale

وہ جو قرض رکھتے تھے جان پر
وہ حساب آج چکا دیا

Saturday - 9th November

8:32 pm

Ibrahim Yazdani had never felt dread like this before.

All the previous heartaches in his life, he'd managed to survive, managed to stay above the waters to let fresh air of hope fill his lungs every now and then, but he knew that if anything happened to the woman lying unconscious inside the Operation Theatre, he just wouldn't survive it.

Sitting on the bench outside the O.T. with head dropped in his hand and elbows resting against the knee, he felt a slight shiver rake his body every few seconds - the image of her blooded and wounded figure ingrained in his head. Sometimes, he closed the eyes to block the memory but there was no escape.

"She'll be alright, Abi." Mustafa said, sitting beside Ibrahim and placing a hand on his shoulder, his own eyes bloodshot.

"I know she'll be. She has to be okay." Ibrahim responded forcefully, clutching his hand tightly to get even a little bit of grip on his trembling form.

"Do you want me to get you some clothes here? These are all covered in blood." Mustafa asked, and Ibrahim turned his head down to glance slowly at the white of his sherwani now splotched red - with Hemayal's blood.

Blood that was lost because of him.

"Why did she have to do this, Mustafa? Why did she come in front of me?" Ibrahim asked, voice breaking into a million pieces and more by the end.

"Maybe she loves you too much." Mustafa mumbled, his own thoughts hayward.

"Don't you dare roll your eyes at me, Mr. Whoever You Are."

"She shouldn't have...she's the last person to deserve this, Mustafa. She...she's been through so much in her life, why doesn't life just let her be?" Ibrahim exclaimed, tears clogging his throat as he struggled to get the words out.

"Pray for her, Abi. She'll be fine." Safaa said softly, taking a seat beside him and catching his bloody hands in her own, tears cascading down her cheeks too.

"And...and what if she won't?" The kind of tremor and fear that rested in Ibrahim's voice, the way his heart shook when he said the words; one thing became as clear as a crystal - he won't be able to live without her.

He had found her after so many hardships and sufferings, so many years of struggle, and now that he finally had her, why was life playing such cruel games with their love? Why were they reduced to mere two people who were played against by destiny itself?

"You know Hemayal, right? She's the strongest person I've ever known in my life; she's a fighter." Safaa said, hiccups making it difficult for her to speak but she did it anyway, a small, sad smile filling her face.

"And I swear to God, I won't forgive you then."

"Exactly, if she managed to survive through everything, she'll survive through this." Mustafa emphasized, tightening the hold of his hand on Ibrahim's shoulder and he nodded, bracing his heart and soul.

Dropping his head back in his hands, he shook slightly, praying with every fiber of his soul for her life. He begged God for a chance to have a life with her, for granting him this miracle so he can give her the happiness she'd been denied all her life.

"You know, Ibrahim, this is the happiest I've been in twenty-four years of my life."

He words filled her ears and his heart died a little.