Prologue

Ebony's POV

I woke up at around two in the morning, which wasn't very unusual for me or my brother, but this time, something felt off. I rolled over in my bed to look at my brother in order to see if he was awake, only to find out that he was not there at all. Confused, I walked out of our bedroom and went to go downstairs to see if he was playing with his toys again, only to find him, standing in the hallway, and clearly looking terrified. I walked up to him and looked over to see what he was looking at, only to find out parents in a puddle of blood, dead. After a few more seconds, I noticed that there was a third man there. Standing over our parents corpses, as well as a fourth, attempting to get through our window. It was not long before the two men saw us. The first man, the man who appeared to be the one who killed our parents immediately ran over and grabbed Nate. After a few moments of him struggling, the man took out out his weapon (which I could now see that it was a medium sized knife. To big to be a common kitchen knife, but not incredibly big either), he then proceeded to slash him across the face. The cut went across his eyes as well, leaving him unable to open them. As I tried to run away, the second man, this one far bigger, grabbed me and put me into a blindfold. Instinctively, I began screaming for Nate. That is until, I felt something poke me, then after a few more minutes of me struggling and screaming, I was suddenly very tired, and everything went blank. The last thing I heard came from Nate as he made a whimper, and whispered "Winter." before I fell asleep.