chapter five.

Gunshots echoed throughout the farmlands that Alicia once grew up on. She nervously awoke and rushed out of her bed. A slight wind blew up against her as she opened the door. She was in such a hurry that she forgot to put on her shoes and ran outside in her warm blue socks.

She could feel the wet grass soak up her socks as she ran towards the barn. Her feet began to ache with every step she made. Daryl was lying on the ground covered in dirt as he grabbed a weeping Carol.

Everyone stood in silence as the last walker made her way towards the group. "Sophia," Carol mumbled, trying to break free out of Daryl's tight grip. Lori embraced Carl as he looked up at his now walker friend, and they both began to cry. It was Carol's little girl.

All those days, all that time they spent looking for her, and she was right under their noses the entire time. Rick finally stepped up and did what no one else was going to do: pull the trigger. Knocking the now lifeless Sophia onto the ground as Carol's cries echoed throughout the silence.

Beth began to cling to her undead mother right as she emerged and tried to bite her. Shane and Rick immediately pulled her mother off and put an end to her.

"Dad?" A fearful Alicia called out before her father hopped in his pickup truck and left. Alicia chased after the car, but she could only do so much before her body gave out and knocked her onto the ground.

"Alicia!" Rick yelled as he came to her rescue. She rebuffed, saying she didn't need his help.

--

"What do you think you're doing?" An upset Maggie asked, making Alicia feel uneasy.

Alicia begged her to stay with Beth as she went looking for her father. "You can't do this, and Beth needs you," Maggie exclaimed.

Alicia softly rebuffed Maggie, "She needs her father, and we all do," She assured. Alicia rushed into Beth's bedroom and kissed her pale, cold forehead. The girl sat in silence ever since her father and Alicia began to fear for her well-being.

"Maggie, please look after her," Alicia asked, looking directly into her younger sister's green eyes. Maggie softly shook her head 'yes' before embracing as if it was their last hug.

--

"Ali-Alica, can you just wait for a second," Rick shouted as he ran up behind her, attempting to grab her shoulder.

Alicia continued walking, saying that he could either stay here or come with her because nothing would stop her from leaving.

Rick sighed as he felt his stomach churn uneasily, "Just-Just let me talk to my family, please." Alicia pulled the key out of the ignition, recognizing how important it was for Rick to talk to his family.

At that moment, as Rick walked away, Alicia looked back at him, somewhat envious of what he had. A wife and son.

"Rick, I don't feel comfortable that you're doing this," Lori explained, stroking Carl's hair and holding him.

Rick spat, "After everything we have done, helping this woman find her father is the least of our worries."

"Don't worry, we're gonna find Hershel and figure this out, I promise," Rick kissed her cheek before strolling away, back to the car.

--

The car ride became silent as Alicia had her main focus on the road, and Rick had his on Alicia's well-being. Rick wanted to keep his mouth shut, but the silence became unbearable, "Who's Zoey?"

Alicia became startled at the mentioning of her dead daughter's name, "What?"

Rick went on to say that Carl had mentioned the name to him after she had gotten shot.

Alicia sighed, "Zoey is my daughter...was my daughter. She died."

Rick felt an ache in his chest after hearing Alicia had lost a child. Rick sat in discomfort, only thinking about what he would do if he lost Carl.