chapter sixteen.

The baby's cries echoed throughout the prison courtyard. Daryl tried to get Rick's attention, but he was entirely out of it.

Carl brought the baby girl over to Hershel. Hershel began to examine her, explaining she was healthy, but she needed formula and fast. Daryl, Maggie, and Glenn all volunteered to go while the others stayed behind.

"There any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Maggie explained they saw a shopping center a mile up North, but they wouldn't be able to get through with a car.

Daryl quickly hopped on his bike, and Maggie soon followed after.

"Glenn, Alicia...she's-" Glenn cut her off and assured her he would look after her sister. Maggie had quickly kissed him before they went on their way.

Glenn went looking for Alicia and found Rick covered in blood, with walker bodies on the ground. Glenn called out to him, but he stood still, ripping his ax out from the wall.

"Rick, you don't have to do this alone. Okay?" Glenn pleaded for Rick to come back to their cell block, explaining everyone had already cleared it out. As soon as he tested his hand on Rick's shoulder, he pushed him up against the wall with his arm.

Alicia heard the commotion and came running towards Rick and Glenn. Rick quickly let go and pushed Glenn away from him.

"Rick..." Alicia reached for Rick's hand, but he pulled away from her. Glenn tried to pull her back, but she resisted.

"Get out. Go." Rick mumbled.

Alicia was finally able to grab onto his hand. Rick turned away from her as she rested her hand on his face. He pulled her hand down and begged her to leave.

Alicia let go and pulled away from him, following Glenn back to their cell block.

"Any sign of Dylan or Rick?" Alicia fell into her father's arms and began crying, and Hershel held her in arms as they sat together on one of the cell beds.

Daryl and Maggie came rushing in just as the baby became fussy. Beth and Maggie quickly set up a bottle of formula for her. Daryl grabbed the baby from Carl's arms, and she immediately stopped crying.

Beth handed him the bottle, and everyone in the cell began smiling.

"She got a name yet?" Daryl looked down at Carl as he held his head down.

Daryl looked down at the baby, "You like that, huh? Lil ass-kicker."

Everyone in the group laughed. Alicia helped her father off the bed, and they both came out of the cell.

Alicia wiped her tears and smiled at Daryl. Daryl handed the baby to Beth and asked Alicia if she was okay.

"Yeah, you?" Alicia asked, taking a deep breath.

"Gotta be." Daryl rested his hand on her shoulder before walking back into his cell.

Both Alicia and Daryl made their way to the graves of the people they lost. Daryl set a Cherokee rose on one of the graves while Alicia crouched down and held her hand on the cross.

-

Rick came back into the cellblock, surprising everyone. He had a change of clothes and was completely clean. Alicia ran out of her cell, thinking it was Dylan.

"Dylan-" She stopped once she realized it wasn't him. She smiled at Rick and turned back around, going into her cell.

Rick scooped the baby out of Carl's arms, smiling. Hershel asked him to stay, but he insisted everyone was okay without him there.

Alicia didn't bother speaking to Rick, and she was more focused on finding Dylan. Alicia stumbled upon Rick anxiously sitting by a telephone.

"Rick?" Alicia turned the corner and startled Rick.

"What are you doing here?" Rick spat.

Alicia explained Dylan was missing. She took a deep breath, trying not to cry in front of Rick.

"I'm sorry, I didn't even realize-" Alicia cut Rick off as he stammered on. She asked him if he was okay, and he once again hesitated.

He explained someone from another group called him on the phone.

"What?"

"A young woman from a group she called and said she was somewhere safe."

"Rick, you don't know anything about this group, and we don't even know if it's safe." Alicia tried knocking some sense into Rick but to no avail.

"If it's safe, we'll get there," Rick assured her, on the verge of shouting.

"Fine, I'll wait with you." Alicia insisted, sitting on a stool across from Rick.

"No, I need to do this myself. I need to be by myself for now. That's the only way."

"I'm never gonna find the right time to tell you this, so I'm just gonna say it..." Alicia spoke up.

"I love you."

As soon as those three words escaped her lips, Rick teared up.

"You don't have to say it back. You don't have to say anything. I need you to be careful, and I need you to be safe. If I lose you..." Alicia tearfully confessed.

Alicia took a deep breath and apologized. She soon left the room. Rick had feelings for her deep down, but he just wasn't ready to confess them. Not now.

Alicia finally left the room and continued the search for Dylan.