Stones of Truth

Saira's POV

Surprisingly, when I wake up the next morning and check social media, no video appears. I joke with Aaron about it over breakfast, and he jokes back that they were just too tired to post it.

I smile and laugh with the guys like normal while we eat in the hotel dining room. The tension between Zak and I that had developed over the past few days is gone, replaced by an air of understanding. Aaron and Billy tease Zak relentlessly, while Jay simply smiles and laughs at the jokes. I smile and roll my eyes, but I can't keep my eyes off of the boys. These guys were more of a family to me then my family for the past fourteen years had been.

Then, a hotel person comes in and taps Zak on the shoulder. Zak shushes us, and Aaron and Billy exchange glances. The man leans down to whisper something in Zak's ear, then leaves as quickly as he came. We all look at Zak, waiting for him to share the news.

Zak sighs and rests his elbows on the table, looking down at his folded hands. The ghostly feeling of his arm around my waist and hand against my cheek flashes across my skin, then is gone just as fast. The simple cross tattoo on Zak's right pointer finger flashes in the bright light of the room, soaking all the artificial brightness into its inky black arms.

Hazel eyes on all of us, Zak says,"Apparently, a family in Sarcoxie has need of us. The school there is also highly haunted, according to some sources. Tomorrow, we'll travel there. But, for now, we edit and work with the video from last night. Let's string that into a show, then send it in to air." All the boys laugh as they get up, except for Zak. A troubled look has entered his eyes, and I think I know what it's about.

As we walk up to Billy and Jay's room, where the footage and laptops are kept, I stop Zak in the stairway. The others are ahead of us, having taken the elevator. Zak and I always opt for stairs when traveling between floors, since we're fitness nerds. "Hey," I say when I catch Zak's arm. He turns, eyes unfocused for a second, which focus again as he blinks at me.

"Hey," he replies, monotone. "What else did that man say? About Sarcoxie?" I ask without further pleasantries. Zak blinks, slightly startled, and says,"Nothing. He said nothing more than what I told you guys." "Liar," I say immediately as Zak continues walking. Zak stops again and looks down at me, five steps below.

"He said that you knew the rumors circulating the town. That you may have been the cause of the sudden uproar of activity there," Zak says as he turns to continue up the stairs. I stand there for a second, startled, then continue up the stairs behind Zak until we reach the landing that leads to all three of our rooms.

When we enter Billy and Jay's room, I'm only half surprised to see Billy and Aaron already on laptops, editing the video from last night, paging exciting moments and our encounters with spirits. I grab the laptop Jay offers me, and sit next Aaron on the bed. I plug in my headphones, and press play on the small section Jay had highlighted for me to edit and review.

After listening for a while, I pause the video and rewind it. Pressing play again, I listen intently to what I hear. Smiling, I rewind the video once more and gesture Jay over to me. I place the headphones on his head without explaining, and press play. Jay watches the screen, which is a shot of the backyard of Miss Adromeda's Bar a long time after Billy and I leave. I see the exact moment he hears what I heard, because his brown eyes go wide and he gestures for Zak.

Zak walks over, and I rewind the video for a fourth time, and press play once the headphones are firmly set on Zak's head. Zak seems to hear what Jay and I heard, since he smiles back at me after the video section ends. He pulls off the headphones, and says,"Wow. What do you think it says?" I shrug, and put on the headphones again to listen. The voice enters my ears, and I have the feeling it's the demon speaking. I replay the voice, and listen as hard as I can. When I hear the voice again, the words pop into my mind.