Northwoods Is Freed

We all crowd around outside the school's doors. We're all rested and fresh for a night of ghost hunting and demon fighting.

No one has spoken about the arguement in Golden Plate, or me crying in front of my family's graves. Because my friends knew that if they tried, I'd either clam up or punch them. I'm nice that way.

Mr. Phil gestures us inside grandly, and we thank him as we pass. We turn around to watch him put a long and thick chain around the doors, which he's done to all the other entrances excepting the doors at the very end of the hallway, which leads out to the football field and track. We smile at the man as he walks away, then we turn to the long hallway.

We walk down it until we get to large T intersection, then turn right and go all the way down. Our nerve center is already set up in a classroom. Jay walks over and sits down, Billy beside him. Zak stands and points to the different camera angles shown on the screen, naming them off.

"Cafeteria." The long room is silent, the many tables still and orderly in their neat rows. "Gym." The rows of bleachers have no numerously-reported shadow figures walking up and down them yet. "Field." The hundred-yard span of green, white, purple, and gold quietly dances in a slight breeze, the turf busting out some moves. "Storage." Where multiple eye-witnesses say they see shadow figures and moving objects in Jerry Land. "Hallway." The long stretch of empty tile, banners, and lights is deviod of glowing anomalies and spirit figures. "And, finally, the park across the street." No rumors of anything happening there, but the GAC is always precise, and since the spirits seem to know me, they want to make sure.

"Alright, guys. Let's have Aaron and Saira go to the classes down the left side. Billy and I will take the cafeteria. This is a small school, so we'll be able to cover the ground here quickly. Let's get started and get some evidence," Zak says, and we laugh and grab equipment.

Aaron and I start at the very end of the left side of th hallway, in the health room. We take EVP sessions, stopping every few minutes to listen, then continue to the next room. After fourty-five minutes of this, we've cleared the hallway. Shrugging at each other, we move to do the right-hand side.

Jay crackles over the walkie, saying,"Guys, I just heard someone talking. Sounded like it was in the hallway." Aaron picks up his walkie and says,"It was probably us, Jay. We moved to the right-hand side after finishing the left." "Oh, okay. Thanks, Aaron," Jay says back, then the walkie goes silent as Aaron clips it back to his belt.

We both roll our eyes, but continue with sweeping the classrooms one by one. Nothing happens over the next fifty minutes, so we go back to nerve center. This, my friends, is the pain of hunting the paranormal: the wait. No one ever tells you about the sheer amount of time you spend waiting for something to happen so that way you can investigate it. Some areas are super full of active spirits; others are quiet and little, unless you get the spirits on a joyous occasion or certain night.

Zak and Billy appear in the doorway, they shake their heads to our questioning looks, then get bottles of water to drink. I lean against the counter ringing the room, and close my eyes, casting out my senses. I sift through my mental images of the classrooms and hallway, waiting for something to trigger my power. My power curls and writhes like a living serpent, the head hissing and spitting, trying to scare some spirits out of hiding.

I feel a touch on my shoulder, but don't stray from my task. My serpent turns around a corner, and hisses in pleasure as it sees a female spirit kneeling on the ground. She turns, her dark blue eyes glowing with fear and gratitude. She starts to speak, but I'm yanked out of my vision by a sharp yank on my shoulder.

I open my eyes, and glare at Zak. "What? I was doing something important." Zak glares back at me, and says,"You were mumbling stuff. In a weird language. Like at the Ande Prison, when you were outside the cell with Aaron." I blink at him, and say hesitantly,"Yeah. The language is known as Flame Talk. It's the language of demons. Snakes also speak it. That's why so many people are afraid of snakes. The Devil took the form of a snake because of that too."