Chapter 8

Kellin's POV

Detention had definitely not been as terrible as I was worried about, if anything it was great. Mr. Jones hadn't shown up until the last ten minutes of detention and since Vic and I were the only ones in there, we'd had ourselves a little fun. We hadn't really gone all the way, but it was definitely a lot further than I'd ever gone before.

"My mom is going to kill me when I get home," I wrote, stressed.

"You don't think she's going to pull you from school, do you?" Vic asked, taking my hand in his as we walked to my car where Kailey was waiting and glaring at me. I shook my head and pulled my phone out.

My dad won't let her. I know it sounds bad but all he wants is for me to be normal.

"Why does he want you to be normal?" Vic asked, glancing at me.

I shrugged. I don't know how to explain it, but he's never really liked how my mom sheltered me and kept me from growing up like a regular kid. He never saw my deafness as something that made me different. 

"Does he try and reason with you mom about it a lot?" 

"When he can. I mean my mom's a force to be reckoned with." I texted him just as we reached Kailey.

"Mom is going to kill you," she informed me. "She's already called me three times to make sure that you didn't get hurt in detention or something. Is this the boy toy?" Kailey asked, looking at Vic.

I nodded at her, "This is Vic."

Kailey glared at him. "Hurt my brother and I'll kick your ass."

"I won't, I promise you." Vic told her.

"Good," she said and looked at me. "We need to get home before mom kills me too."

I scowled and nodded and glanced at Vic, giving him a small smile. He gave me a kiss.

"Text me later so I know she didn't kill you?" he asked.

I nodded and gave him one more kiss before telling him goodbye and with that, Kailey and I made our way home.

"Is he nice?" She asked. 

I nodded and gave her a thumbs up considering I was driving and couldn't really say it some other way.

"That's good."  

I nodded again and once we pulled in front of the house. "He's really sweet and he beat Bryan and Johnny up for messing with me too. Just don't tell mom, I'm going to tell her in my own time." I told her just as my mom came running out of the house.

"My lips are sealed." 

I shot her a smile and jumped out of the car already prepared.

"My poor baby!" My mother said and pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back and pretty much checking to make sure I'm okay.  "Are you okay? Do I need to pull you from school? Maybe I should, that would be best for your safety."

I shook my head. "Mom, I'm fine. I punched him,  he didn't hurt me. I promise I'm okay."

"You punched him!? What in the world were you thinking!?"  

"He was harassing me."

"Oh dear, about what?" 

I scowled. "He kept snapping and clapping by my ears to see if I was really deaf or not and I got mad. And then he snuck up behind me and yanked on my backpack and made me almost fall. That's when I punched him. But I can take care of myself, mom."