Chapter 20

Kellin's POV

To say that I was nervous was an understatement. It's not every day that you go into your doctor's office and have a device put on your ear that will make you hear. Since the day I had my first doctor's appointment I've been toying with the idea and accepting the fact that I was now going to be able to hear but, knowing that today I finally was going to get to hear, it was different. I was so close now to getting the one thing I've been dreaming of my entire life and I had the most amazing guy by my side and my amazing family and that's all I could ever really ask for at this point. Vic squeezed my hand tight and I glanced at him, a small smile on my face.

"What?" I mouthed. He just shook his head and smiled.

"I'm excited," he told me as we sat in the waiting room. My parents, unfortunately we not able to make it to the appointment for my hearing so Vic, Austin and Justin were with me since Alan wasn't able to come because of his own issues but it wasn't too terrible without my parents here.

I grinned and gave my boyfriend a kiss, he cupped my neck cautiously. He was still so nervous to touch my head because of the implants but I didn't really care about that. The doctor had already assured me that it would be fine and that there's not really any way to accidentally yank it out like Vic was scared of doing. He still wouldn't kiss me or have sex with me either.

Everything scared him when it came to my implants. It was cute but annoying at times.

"Can you two stop for like ten minutes?" Justin complained, shaking his head when I glanced over at him and Austin. I shrugged.

"Can you not be annoying for like ten minutes?" I asked him. I felt Vic start shaking and laughing next to me and smiled. Justin scowled and flipped me off.

"You're supposed to be the nice one," he told me and I grinned.

Vic must have said something because Justin flipped him off and Austin covered his face as he started laughing. I glanced at him and gave him a quizzical look.

"I told him that you're never nice, he just doesn't know sign language to know what you're saying," he explained and I snorted.

Eventually the nurse came out and asked me to come on back and my heart started hammering in my chest. This was it, I was finally going to get to hear. Vic squeezed my hand tighter than ever as the four of us made our way to the back. I slowly took a seat on the little bed, Vic stood next to me and the boys sat on the chairs against the wall and the Audiologist came in.

"Are you ready to get one turned on?" She asked and I nodded.

"Oh my god yes," I signed, more excited than ever. Dr. Stevenson went over a few more things with me, checking to make sure I was taking care of the implants correctly and that I was cleaning them and doing everything I was supposed to. She continued on to talk about how to continue taking care of them and changing the batteries and what not. Then she came over to my ears and started adjusting things and took me to a secluded room without Vic and the guys and smiled.

"I'm going to have you do a hearing test with the right implant turned on, I won't speak just yet so all you hear is this and once you're finished, depending on how it goes, I will bring your friends in, okay?" She asked me and I nodded and gave her a thumbs up as I bit my lip and she came over and turned on the right implant. She motioned to the headphones and I put them on.

Dr. Stevenson pressed a button and my heart leapt as I heard a loud, slow beep go off in my ear. My eyes watered but we continued with the test for about two more minutes before she instructed me to take the headphones off.

"Your hearing in your right ear is wonderful, Kellin. Do you want me to bring them in?" She asked and I nodded. She grinned and went to the door and I heard her footsteps and the door open. There was a quiet murmuring that I didn't fully understand and then I saw Vic and I grinned. He smiled and bounded over to me.