Chapter 2

The moment I set foot in that school, I was the center of gossip

The moment I set foot in that school, I was the center of gossip. Every head seemed to turn my way when I entered, and every little detail of my surroundings was etched into my mind in a mere instant due to my excellent senses. It was like watching a zoomed in movie in slow motion. Or just plain sensory overload. There was so much noise, whereas I was used to the quiet, being with no one but Audri for the whole long trip here. But what bothered me even more than the sharp eyesight was my sensitive hearing.

When I found my locker number, I heard one particular conversation that sparked my interest. A girl and a boy stood talking a good distance away, and I could tell by their hushed tones that it was a private conversation.

It also happened to be about me. It was obvious by the way they kept shooting me nervous glances every five seconds. I forced my ears to ignore all the racket around me so I could focus in on their voices only. The conversation started something like this: The boy was saying, "So that's the new kid, huh?"

The girl giggled and nodded. "Yeah, Jake Williams. I heard a lot of stuff about him."

The boy snorted. "I bet I could tell you more. When Dad was on the police force, he worked with his adoptive mom, Audri."

The girl gasped. "I didn't know he was adopted! I hear he's been involved with gangs, though, because he's been kicked out of a bunch of schools."

"Oh, I don't know about that, but I do know that he was found in some woods three years ago with no memory. Audri just decided to adopt him and move away as quickly as possible, which is kind of weird if you ask me. That's all my dad knows, but the guy's past is what I want to know about." He glanced in my direction and I quickly moved my head behind my locker door. The boy continued, now even more quietly. "Well, what do you think of him, Hannah? I think he looks a little strange in my opinion..."

The girl giggled again. "I think he's cute, and I heard he has an accent just like Alex! Can you believe my luck?"

Jim rolled his eyes, but Hannah ignored him and tugged his arm. "Come on, let's say hi to him," she pleaded.

Jim didn't look happy about it, but before I knew it the pair were at my locker. Hannah smiled sweetly and gazed up at me with curious hazel eyes hidden behind massive hot-pink glasses. She was short, with an impish face and long, straight sandy-blond hair. She would have had that typical cheerleader look, only the glasses and the pencil stuck behind her ear threw it all off.

I closed my locker and waited expectantly. "Hello, my name is Hannah Jennings," she began. "And this is Jim, my stepbrother." She indicated the boy and he muttered a short greeting.

"Uh, hullo, nice to meet you," I said uncertainly.

Hannah inhaled sharply. "I love your accent! British, right?"