Chapter 27

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Arthur asked

"Yeah. I'm sure."

Arthur and I parted through the last of the thin trees of the Great Forest with Ben and Lancelot walking not too far behind us. Beneath my cloak I wore my khaki shorts and my button-down shirt and had The Book of Sorcery secured under my arm. Alex also wore a cloak to conceal his twenty-first century clothing.

A sudden thought occurred to me and I glanced at Arthur. "How did Gawain take the news of becoming your Paige?"

He frowned. "I don't know. He locked himself in his chambers the moment he found them and hasn't said a word to anyone since. So I was pretty much just talking to a door."

"I'm sure he'll be alright. Elaine said she'd look after him."

"Speaking of Elaine..." Arthur's lips twisted into a strange smile. "I'm surprised she didn't insist on accompanying us on our 'hunting trip.' I mean, she practically rallied the commoners herself to save you―"

"Before you go any further," I said. "I suppose I need to emphasize that we are friends."

He laughed. "I know. I'm just teasing. Anyway, I know you wouldn't do anything to make the Lady of the Lake jealous and transport us to the Stone Age."

I playfully shoved him.

"Ow." He threw me a dirty look and rubbed his arm.

Peter had agreed with my decision to leave, saying that a break would be good for both me and Arthur. He helped us come up with the cover story of the two of us going on a hunting trip. When we announced our immediate departure to Elberny, he wished us a long journey without even raising his head from a scroll he was reading.

After saying our goodbyes to Elaine and Peter, Ben and Lancelot agreed to escort us to the hill that Excalibur had transported us to a week ago. Technically we could have used any stone to return, but we agreed too many stones engraved with the Ancient Language would raise suspicion from anyone who happened to not to be a Camelot citizen. Anyway, returning with the stone that brought us here seemed fitting.

We finally reached the hill and made our way to the top. The large stone still resided by the large pile of hay, and a couple feet away, partly hidden by rocks, I spotted severed ropes that had at one time bound Athalos.

Arthur and I strode over to the stone and beheld the runes. Now we knew they were much more than a bunch of words. They were a reminder of what Arthur had proven―to himself and to Camelot.

I turned from the stone and looked at him. "You don't have to come, you know. I know you don't want to go back."

He tore his eyes from the runes. "No, I don't want to leave. Camelot is my home. The knights, the civilians...they're all part of my family. But...you're my family as well. And anyway, someone has to keep you out of trouble when you get back."