Chapter 11

I awoke to the sounds of birds chirping outside the small window above my head

I awoke to the sounds of birds chirping outside the small window above my head. I groaned and rolled onto my side, half expecting to see my alarm clock sitting on my bed side table. But from where the sun was I knew it was early morning. I had slept practically a whole day.

I slowly rose into a sitting position and looked down, suddenly realizing I was still wearing the clothes from the previous day: A blue T-Shirt and a pair of khakis. A little too conspicuous.

I slid out of bed and with some reluctance made my way over to the wardrobe to change. I swung open the oak doors and ran my eyes over its contents and wasn't too pleased with what I found. To put it plain and simple, the clothes I saw Alex wearing yesterday made these look like rags. I took a quick knowledgeable guess that it was because kings were privileged with better clothing than commoners. In the dusty wardrobe there were a few ragged shirts, some faded trousers, and some old boots with holes in them. Classy. My only consolation was I could cover up with my cloak. Silently cursing the middle ages and their social ranking system, I pulled on some of the clothes, swung the cloak over my shoulders, and then left my chambers to find Alex.

I opened his door and found him sitting at his desk, already dressed. He was staring at a plate of some sort of meat which I believed was roast mutton, a loaf of wheat bread, and some cheese.

"I definitely just lost my appetite," I complained as I sat down in the chair opposite of him. "Where's the cereal?"

Alex acknowledged me with amused eyes. "Actually," he said, "I prefer this over twenty-first century food. It's a bit more agreeable with my stomach."

I sighed and snatched the loaf of bread from his plate, tearing up chunks and plopping them into my mouth. I admit it wasn't bad. As I ate, I ran my eyes over Alex. He looked much better than yesterday. Much more well rested and a lot calmer, too. "So what's on the agenda for today?" I asked through mouthfuls of food.

"I haven't the faintest idea. Lancelot and Ben are supposed to come and tell us."

I nodded and let my eyes wander around Alex's room. I hadn't really given myself the chance to take everything in yesterday with everything that was going on. It was much more extravagant than mine, with the large bed in the middle decorated red and bearing the Pendragon crest on the thick comforter, and the highly polished wardrobe and writing table. Two stuffed chairs covered in some sort of animal fur were even arranged around a blazing fireplace.

My eyes suddenly darted to the door when I heard a soft rapping. "Come in!" Alex called.

Lancelot and Ben stepped inside the room. They immediately smiled when they saw me with Alex. "I see the two of you have sorted things out," Lancelot remarked genially.

Both Ben and Lancelot seemed in much better spirits than when Alex and I first met them yesterday when they had been brandishing swords and daggers in our faces. I quite liked the change. Both Alex and I raised a hand in greeting as they strode over to us.