Chapter 14

I awoke to a dull rapping on my door

"Go away," I moaned. "It's too bloody early."

More rapping, though much louder. "Too early?" Came Alex's friendly growl. "It's past noon―oh never mind. Just open the door. We need to talk."

I pointed to the door and the lock unlatched. Alex marched in, irritation and anger distorting his features. He wore similar clothes to the previous day minus the fancy hoodless cloak, and I assumed he had been up for quite a while because his hair was combed and his eyes were wide and alert.

He pulled over a wooden chair and sat at my bedside. He looked me over and frowned. A little disgruntled, I looked over at the mirror on the far wall and realized why. My face was bloodless and my hair was even more tousled than it had been in my dream. What startled me though were my eyes. They were no longer a dark blue nor a bright green. They were a mixture of both, creating the oddest color I had ever seen.

"Jake...are you all right?" Alex asked carefully.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I admit, I answered that question a bit too quickly.

"No reason...it's just Lord Peter ran into me earlier and warned Lancelot, Ben, and I to let you rest a while longer. He said you might have lost some sleep because of some decision you were pondering last night. He wouldn't tell us anything else. Care to enlighten me?"

I sat up and twiddled my thumbs nervously. "Arthur...I told him everything. About my magic, about you, and how we got here."

Alex had already jumped when I addressed him as Arthur, but now he looked completely shell-shocked. "You told him?" he exclaimed.

"Yes, I'm glad you're following so nicely."

Alex's cheeks turned bright red for a moment, but he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "How did he react?"

"See, that's the funny thing. He took it rather well...a little too well. He already knew I was a sorcerer...and he said he knew my father."

"Well, I should hope so," he muttered.

"What?"

Alex shook his head quickly. "It's nothing. So we can trust him, then?"

"I think so. He helped me last night. I made an important decision, like he said, and I suppose I should tell you it now." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "I believe completely and wholly that I am Merlin. And I believe you are Arthur."

I opened my eyes to see Alex staring at me incredulously. "Jake, are you feeling all right?" He mockingly reached up to feel my head, but I slapped his hand away.

A white-hot lump of anger expanded across my chest. He thought I was joking.

Alex stared at me in amazement, and then it suddenly dawned on him that I was serious. "No, you're not Merlin," he said fiercely. "You're Jake Williams from the twenty-first century. Did Peter put this mad idea into your head?"