Chapter 12

Later in the day, Ben offered to give us a tour of the kingdom while Lancelot stayed behind to assist with the Royal Council

Later in the day, Ben offered to give us a tour of the kingdom while Lancelot stayed behind to assist with the Royal Council. Despite our weariness from our training, Alex and I eagerly agreed. We wanted to see the entire kingdom while we were there.

Before we left the castle, Ben requested that Alex and I both wear our cloaks with the hoods over our faces. I asked him why, but he only said that it would be for the best.

Once we were out of the courtyard and in the city, Ben led us into the shops and markets we had seen the day before and into the most popular streets where men played music with flutes, leers, and other strange instruments. It was an amazing sight. Children shrieked with delight and danced with one another to the music, along with couples and friends. I sighed inwardly. These were one of those times when I wished I could dance.

We continued through the city with Ben pointing out every single establishment, describing to us who owned or lived in it. I knew he was trying to help our memory, but none of the places we visited or the people Ben mentioned rang any bell. Eventually, our stomachs got the better of us and we stopped for a rest at a tavern that served food and drink.

The three of us stepped through a rotting door hanging on its hinges and we made our way past a bunch of bulky men sitting at grimy tables. When Alex turned to seat himself at a table conjoined with the bar, I saw the men shoot him angry glances.

A greasy bartender turned around and leaned over the counter which was lined with dirty glasses and plates. "Benjamin, Merlin," he acknowledged with a curt nod. "Haven't seen you two in here in quite some time―it must have been a while because I could swear you've grown a foot since I last saw you, Merlin."

His eyes slid over to Alex. He gave him a look of bewilderment and lowered his head and intoned, "My lord." But his eyes were icy when he uttered the words. Alex blinked at the obvious distaste the barman was expressing.

Ben cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Well, things have been difficult up at the castle..."

The bartender set before us three glasses of what I believed to be ale. "Yes, I've heard," he said. "I can't fathom how the Royal Council is dealing with all this, lad. But someone needs to step up and take control of this kingdom, eh?" He glanced at Alex furtively then turned and walked to the other end of the counter.

Alex's ears reddened and he stared at his untouched glass. I also studied the ale before me, but probably not for the same reason. "Aren't we underage?" I asked uncertainly, prodding the glass as if it was some sort of trap.

Ben stared at me. "What?"

I looked at Alex and raised my eyebrows with a wicked grin. "Brilliant. There's no age restrictions. Though I suppose there wouldn't be much reason for them here since DUI's aren't really a thing—"

Ben," Alex interrupted. "Why does everyone in this kingdom hate me?" His voice was barely audible. "And don't deny it—the guys over there gave me a look like they think I'm a step down from horse dung."