Chapter Five: The Quest

Chiron paced in front of the remaining uninfected campers, trying to explain the predicament. "We need someone who can go and find the cure for Orange Cough," he said, "Someone brave. He or she may bring two others with him or her, according to tradition."

"I could go," Jason said, putting his hand up hesitantly.

"No," Rachel Dare said, shaking her head as her curly red hair fell in front of her face. Everyone turned to stare at her in confusion, "Jason should not go on this quest. We need two brothers and another. Jackie and Jeremy," she said, her voice changing half way through and green smoke billowing out of her ears and mouth.

"Here we go again," said Percy Jackson, "I hate when this happens. It's too creepy."

"Shh, listen," hissed Jeremy, stunned that he had been chosen.

"Three shall journey far to seek

The one that will be of Heart,

Five in the middle way

Then two will no more see the day."

"What does that even mean?" Jackie murmured, placing his head in his hands. Jeremy shrugged and patted his brother on the back.

"Who else will go with these brave campers?" Chiron called out into the audience. There was a wave of voices before everyone got quiet.

"I will go," said a brave female voice, "The sick campers need us."

Everyone turned to look, surprised, at who had spoken. Black hair and eyes greeted them as Bianca stepped forward.

"Are you sure?" Chiron asked, placing a hand on the daughter of Erebus' shoulder, his brow was furrowed with concern. Bianca nodded and looked over her shoulder and flashed a bright smile, which was rare especially for a child of Erebus, the smile reassured both of the boys.

"I feel that I should be the one to do this," she said, "Though why, I can't say. When do we start, Chiron?"

"As soon as you are ready. Don't forget to stop by the Apollo cabin--the cabin please, not the infirmary--to get some ambrosia and nectar for emergencies."

Bianca nodded and walked over to the two other questers, giving them both a kiss on the cheek, making Jackie blush, even though the daughter of Erebus was older than he was. Jeremy smiled when she passed, he tugged at her hand and squeezed it gently before following after her to the Apollo cabin.

"Yes, what are you here for?" asked Will Solace, who was desperately mixing up some sort of mush for the sick campers. Stardust walked in behind him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't you worry, Will, I can help these kiddos."

"We need ambrosia and nectar for our quest," said Bianca confidently.

"Comin' right up sweetheart," Stardust said with a smile, heading back farther into the cabin. When she returned, she handed then several small zip-lock baggies of ambrosia and more than enough water bottles. When Bianca cocked her head to the side in confusion, Stardust explained, "Half of these are water dears."

"And the other half...?"

"Nectar. Keep them safe, all right? Now you'd better go pack up before Chiron starts panicking. We need a cure for that Orange Cough as soon as possible. ASAP, if you must."

Jackie nodded with a bright smile, getting on his tiptoes to kiss Stardust's cheek. "I'll be back soon, don't let them die?" he said this in a question though he knew that the other girl would never let him down.

"Everything will be fine when you get back, love," she reassured him.

Jeremy smiled as well, showing off his deep dimples. Bianca breathed deeply to calm her pounding heart. Why did it have to do that every time her friend flashed his smile? Bianca couldn't resist dimples, and Jeremy was notorious for his cute smile.

"C'mon lovebirds, we have to go so that Chiron can stop worrying," Bianca said, calming her heart by looking back at Jackie and Stardust. Jackie got up on his tiptoes and gave Stardust another brief kiss on the cheek.

She smiled. "Don't go getting into trouble," she said, "But I guess, when you're a demigod, you can expect trouble around every turn. So, can I just say instead: Die bravely."

Jeremy blinked. "Isn't that a quote from a book or something?"

"Five Kingdoms, sorry. I was obsessed when I was younger." Stardust winked at the three demigods. "All right then, shoo."

Jackie nodded his head from side to side and then smiled back at the daughter of Apollo, though when he turned, the smile slipped off of his face and was replaced by a look of fear. Bianca gave him a side hug as they walked out of the camp and into the unknown.