Chapter Fourteen: Drifting Away

Natalie felt her breathing pick up, getting faster for a moment before calming down. Her heart stalled in her chest and the heavy blanket on top of her seemed to increase her burning fever. She tossed her head to the side, trying to use vocal cords that had already been eaten by her plague.

Bea sat by her side, stroking her blond curls and murmuring hoarsely. One hand was on Natalie's chest, tensing slightly whenever Natalie's heart stopped momentarily.

Voices spoke gently over her, whispering to each other as they looked her over. Natalie strained to open her eyes, which were almost sealed closed by dried tears. When she did, all she saw was the daughter of Pluto, "...doesn't have long...send...message," were the only words that she managed to get out of the dialogue. She was dying, and she knew it.

A teardrop fell on Natalie's hot cheek, and she knew Bea was crying. Her friend, nearly as sick as she was but loyally staying by her side, whispered in a heartbroken tone, "Nat, please don't go. You need to hold on for your brothers and sister... and me."

Her mouth opened for a moment and then closed. She cleared some of the goop that blocked her from speaking from her throat and opened her mouth again, hoarse words barely made it out from her lips, "I love you, Bea." She began to slip away, the life fading out of her eyes rapidly. Bea began to scream the best she could. Natalie's hand fell limp and the rest of her body relaxed as she finally died.

Bea's scream faded into uncontrolled sobbing as she threw herself on the lifeless body of her best friend. Her heart shattered at the loss, and grief closed her throat. She couldn't hear anything except the dying words of her friend... I love you, Bea.