Chapter 4: Dislikes and Hatstalls

Rose smiled. "Where did I hear that name before?", she thought, but shrugged it off. Not giving it a second thought. Rose engaged in small talk with the two boys. "So, Scorpius", Albus asked, "What house do you think you'll get in?" Scorpius thought for a moment then answered, "Honestly, I think I'll get in Slytherin...but really I'm a true Ravenclaw at heart." Rose was shocked "Really?", she asked. He nodded, "yah...I think I'll get in Slytherin because my family was, but...", He trailed off.

Albus nodded in understandment. "I think I'm going to get into Slytherin...", he mumbled. Scorpius smiled, "Then maybe...you and I could...I mean if you want to...we could be friends?" Albus laughed and Scorpius turned red and looked down. Albus said, "Of course!!! Sorry if that came out wrong, but it was funny", he laughed a little again, "It's just...I thought we were already friends?" Scorpius's face brightened. Rose smiled at his innocent, kind nature.

"What about you Rose?", Scorpius asked. Rose was snapped out of her thoughts, "Huh?", she asked. Albus rolled his eyes. Scorpius politely asked again. Rose turned a little pink. "What would Scorpius think? Giffendors and Slytherins were almost sworn enemies. Would he think her to be proud and boastful like some Griffendors?" While she was thinking Albus nudged her. She didn't respond. "Uuuuhhh,", Albus said, "She's just nervous...", he lied. He knew exactly what was going through her head.

"Rose!", He said sternly. She was, once again, snapped out of her thoughts. She looked up and said, "I think I'll get in Griffendor, but...I don't know I guess that's not what I really want...". She turned a deeper red. Scorpius nodded. "Well I hope you get whatever it is your looking for." She smiled, "Thanks".

Secretly he wanted her to be in whatever house he was in...he liked her...oh- uh-you-know...as a FRIEND. Yah that was it as a friend...or was it?

The small chat died down so Rose took out a notebook, ink and quill. She started writing. She wrote about what she thought Hogwarts would be and left room for what was different she thought that she was completely wrong so she left pages to fill in. Then she started writing about the train ride there. She then got on the topic of Scorpius she wrote a little bit about him. What he looked like, his blond hair and his grey eyes that reminded her of the sky after a shower of rain or a misty sky. Or the way he bites his lip while thinking or..."Wait what?", she thought.

She wrote that down. She grunted. She tried smearing the ink, but it was already dry. She was going to scribble it out, but...she felt like it would be wrong. So, she left it.

"Whatcha writing?" Rose's eyes grew and she looked up, "Huh?"

Scorpius laughed. Rose looked over at Albus, but he was sleeping. Scorpius was observing her for a while now. He loved the way she would furrow her eyebrows together when she concentrated and the way the breeze from the open window would gently flow through her curly red hair. Or how she would lick her lips every once in a while just because. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, but it bounced back in place. He laughed. He just met her and he already loved so much about her. 

She pursed her lips together, "What?", she asked gently. He repeated the question, "Watcha doing?" 

"Oh, yeah...I'm writing what I think Hogwarts will be like and what it actually is...you know when we get there." He nods. "That's cool...I was thinking that I should write a journal...you know so I could look back on it when I'm older" Rose smiles, "That actually sounds like a great idea!"

"Yah, except...that umm I didn't really bring anything to write it down on...that was stupid on my part." Rose frowned, but then remembered something. She reached into her bag and pulled out an empty notebook. "Here", she said, "I have dozens of these and I don't need them all so you can have it."

He took it from her, "Thanks". She nodded. Albus woke up, "wha- what did I miss?", he asked, "And what time is it?", he asked with yawn. Rose took out her watch, "Ummm", she said, "It's 2 o'clock"

"Better get our robes on then", Rose nodded, "Yeah that sounds good."

The trio got up and went to put on there robes.

An hour later they were all standing up in the front of the Hogwarts students waiting to be sorted. The three friends all stood together. They were going by alphabetical order by there last names.

There was another girl standing by them, who also rode in there boat, who had bronze-dirty-blond hair that ended below her chin, but wasn't too long. She had cocoa-y brown eyes and was very excited, but not shy at all. Her name was Samantha Bevis.

She smiled when she was called towards the beginning and walked up confidently. She sat down and waited...and waited... and waited. Three minuets past and there was still no shouting from the hat. Four minuets and thirty seconds, still no shout. Samantha passed the five minuet mark and the whispering did anything, but stop it increased. Almost exactly at Eight minuets the hat screamed. "RAVENCLAW!!!".

The Ravenclaw table erupted with applause and pride they had an eight minuet had still in their house. Samantha gladly took her spot at the Ravenclaw table. Rose, Albus and Scorpius clapped for their new friend. They watched all these kids get up and go down, all waiting until it was their turn.

"Malfoy, Scorpius!", McGonagall called. Scorpius turned towards us and went up to get sorted. A chill went down Rose's spine..."Wait...Malfoy?", she asked herself. She felt like she was stabbed in the back. 

"But...he doesn't seem like how father described his father..." She couldn't help, but feel like she betrayed her father. She listened to where he would be sorted. After a minuet or two the hat called out, "SLYTHERIN!!" and Scorpius almost timidly went to his table where the Slytherins were clapping for him.

Then it was Albus's turn. "Good luck", Rose says. He nods and sits down on the stool. Another minuet the hat called, "SLYTHERIN!", Albus tried to smile, but could only manage a small one. "At least he has a friend...", Rose thought. Albus went down and sat down by Scorpius. They started talking and waited until it was Rose's turn. 

Finally they called, " Weasley, Rose!". Rose went up and sat on the stool. The hat started mumbling something and then asked her, "Are you fond of your mother?"  Rose smiled and answered, in her head, "Yes very, very much..." The hat mumbled some more. Then the hat said, "Well I see first of your clan...aww there it is, yes it must be..." 

"RAVENCLAW!!!", the hat called out. Rose smiled slightly and looked over at Albus. He gave her a knowing look and she went and sat down at the Ravenclaw house table by Samantha. 

"Hey, she thought at least I have a friend", she thought. She noticed that Samantha was clapping the loudest. She made small talk with Samantha and realized that she's a very good friend and that she would be ok.

But she still felt as if she was kicked in the gut. First she realized that a guy that she...she likes... as a friend...was somebody her father disliked and that she didn't carry on the family name in Griffendor...she was going to puke!