Going in Depth

His home was small but cozy. It was painted tan with a chimney composed of grey rocks. A short pathway led up to the front door and there were a few flowers here and there in the front. Around the house was a dense forest, with trees shooting up into the sky. We dismounted Gwahir and went inside his cottage. 

"Like it?" he asked, smiling.

"I love it! It's so cute!"

"Ehh... cute wasn't really the word I was looking for, but thanks, I'll have to clear out one of the rooms so you can sleep in there."

"I... Am I staying here with you?"

He nodded, "This is the part I wasn't looking forward too... explaining everything, I keep forgetting you don't even know the basics of Alledonia."

"Yeah, I'm really confused..."

Gust nodded again, "That's understandable... come with me, I wanna show you something," he said. I followed him out his back door and together, we weaved through the forest. Up ahead, I could see the forest ending and the sun shining. There was a dark blue lake that was so beautiful, it almost looked fake. Gust then went over to a tree with wooden steps along the trunk. 

"Come up here with me," he said as he began to climb the steps.  From my viewpoint, it looked as if he didn't actually need the steps at all.  As if he could just climb up there on his own. I climbed up after him, which wasn't too much trouble but I still wasn't nearly as fast as he was.

When we reached the top, there was a small wooden platform that looked out over the lake and the forest surrounding it. 

"This is... amazing," I whispered.

"Yeah, I think so too. This is one of my favorite spots to go and think," he said.

We sat down on the edge of the platform together. For most teenagers, sitting next to a boy you just met at such a close proximity would be awkward. But for us, it wasn't. It was actually kind of... comfortable.

"So, you know how Alledonia is magical, right?" he asked.

"Err... yeah."

"Well, everyone here is magical. We all have a special power of some sort. Some abilities are very minor, like being able to breathe underwater. Others, however... are much more than that, such as controlling all four elements of the Earth."

My mouth hung open, "There are people here who can control the elements of the Earth?" I asked, surprised and intrigued. 

He nodded, "Yes, everyone finds out their special ability on Ascertain Day. Which is in two months from now."

"So... I'll have a superpower too?"

"Yes, but like I said... it might not be the best, so don't set your expectations too high. For example, you could just have the ability to sleep upon command."

"But can't people from my world do that?"

He shrugged. "Maybe, but it wouldn't be in the same way. Oh, and by the way... we call the people from "your world" Apparents."

"Am I an Apparent?"

"Well... you technically are until you discover your magical ability."

"Oh, okay... what's your special power?" I asked curiously.

"Guess," he smirked.

"Hmmm... water powers?"

"Nope."

"Ability to read minds?"

"Ha! I wish..."

How was I supposed to know? I could be guessing all day with all the possibilities.

"Actually, I think I'll just show you," he smiled.

I watched as he waved his hands in front of his face, summoning leaves from the branches above. Twirling his hands, he created a mini tornado that picked up other objects in its path. He then jumped from the tree but didn't touch the forest ground. Instead, it looked as if a strong gust of wind had picked him up and set him gently back onto the platform. 

"Gust! That was amazing!" I squealed.

"Hehe... it was, wasn't it?" he smirked.

"Gust... you have wind powers! That's why you're named Gust!" 

He nodded. "Great job, Sherlock." 

"That's so cool!" I awed over his magical power. 

"Thanks, but that's not all you get when you discover your secret ability, all of us also receive a spirit animal. Mine is of course... an eagle."

"Sweet."

"Yeah."

I was beginning to feel awkward, just swinging my legs like a dope. Meanwhile, this super god was sitting next to me and could probably make me drift away if he wanted to.

"So... why am I staying at your house, exactly?"

"Ahh, yes, sorry I forgot to mention... when everyone first comes here, they're assigned a mentor. And I am yours.

AN: Hey guys! So... I'm kind of lacking motivation for this story and I'm not sure where to go with it. I feel like I have everything set up now, but have no clue what the actual adventure will be. So yeah... I'm putting this book on hold, and may not update it for a while. Sorry guys, but I will be updating my other story "Love Shines Through," so if you're a  romance fan, go check it out!