Chapter 15

After fighting with Leo and Emily about letting Mark come along-they eventually relented, much to my surprise-I find myself standing outside, notebook in one hand, locket open in the palm of the other. Momma. Poppa. Artie. I study each of their faces, noting the happiness of the pictures, even the wedding picture. Sixteen years ago, if I remember correctly. Sixteen years, they had gotten married, and now...for all I know, they're both dead. I know Poppa is.

All last night, I had nonstop nightmares. Right now, I don't remember them too well. Except there were explosions. And blood. And lots of screaming. I think I screamed too, but nobody came to check on me. Eventually, I gave up on sleep and curled up in a ball under the covers and sang to myself a combination of Azeran and human songs. I had dozed off a little, but not for long. Instead, I had gotten up and made of list of everything I had to discuss with the ETL in my notebook.

Every time I hear tires go by the house, I glance up quickly, then back down as the occasional car goes up the road. After twenty minutes of this, I watch a blank white van pull into our driveway. "This the Everett's residence?" the driver asks, sticking his head out of the window. His rough voice sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.

"No, they live in the shed out back," I reply sarcastically.

The man drapes his arm out of the van window. "Are you Callie?"

"Well, I think so."

The man seems to be immune to sarcasm. "We spoke on the phone yesterday," he says, stretching out his hand. I make no move to shake it. "I'm Joe."

"How common. I know Joes from where I'm from."

"How about you go get your foster parents so we can get this show on the road and talk more freely?" Joe asks, a tad impatiently.

"Will do," I say, opening the front door to call, "Emily! Leo! Our chauffeur's here!" 

"On the phone, you seemed very nervous," Joe notes. "What changed between now and then?"

Oh-that's where I know him, I think. I spoke with him on the phone.

I don't know how to answer his question, so I say, "Ummm..." then turn around to call back into the house, "Emily! Mark!"

"The other kid's coming?" Joe asks nonchalantly. Or what seems to be nonchalance.

"Yes," I say curtly. "The other kid is coming."

Joe raises his hands in a show of innocence, but before he can verbally claim it, Emily comes out of the house while clutching her purse, followed by Mark and Leo, the latter of which looking extremely irritated.

"Hop on in," Joe says as one of the van doors slides open on its own. I frown in confusion until Mark leans over and whispers, "He just pressed a button in the van. It's okay."

I purse my lips and climb into the van, sliding into farthest seat. Leo sits next to me, and Emily and Mark climb into the back row. Joe pulls out of the driveway and we're on our way-whether good or bad, I don't know.

Silence envelops the car for a good several minutes, until Joe clears his throat. "Is it alright if I put the radio on?" he asks.

"I don't care," I mutter with a shrug. Joe takes that as a yes, and the van is filled with what I believe is rock music. "If he ever hurts you, true love won't desert you. You know I still love you, though we touched and went our separate ways..."