Chapter 17

I wish I could walk with pride, shoulders thrown back, chin held high.  But in reality, I'm hunched over and I think I'm going to throw up. I haven't felt this much fear since I woke up on Marix, only a few months before.

These people aren't hypnotized, I remind myself. They want to help.

But how do I actually know that?

The doctor I'm following explains everything along the way, but I barely listen. Occasionally, he glances back at me, and I give him a wan smile. This continues until we reach our destination: a large room filled with screens, monitors, and all sorts of medical paraphernalia. The doctor gestures for me to sit on the white bed in the middle, so I do.

He pulls out the clipboard that was tucked under his arm. "Since you didn't answer a single question of mine on our walk, I'll start again. Do Azerans have tolerance to low amounts of radiation?"

"Are you going to microwave me?" I ask.

The doctor chuckles, but it's strained. "No. But we've recently developed this new technology that will let us see your internal organs at once in 3D without any vivisection or dissection. In other words, we won't cut you up."

"Go back to the tech. What is it?"

"It scans your whole body and takes into consideration the placement of every cell in your body. Then it recreates your insides on a computer screen, and we can focus in and isolate one organ on the screen to examine it. I bet, once it's released to hospitals, it'll wipe out all MRIs, CAT scans, x-rays, et cetera, et cetera."

"I need to give you humans more credit," I say. "Most Azerans do."

The doctor shrugs, but I tell he's pleased. "Well, thank you. Before we get to explore this machine, I'm gonna run some external tests on you. I know when you first came in, you were stuck with a needle a lot and had to pee in a cup, but I'm not gonna do that to you."

"External tests?" I repeat. "Do I have to get undressed?"

"Not completely, but if you're uncomfortable, I can get you a female doctor," he reassures me.

I debate for a moment, then I shrug. "I'll still be uncomfortable. It doesn't matter."

The doctor nods and hands me a gown. "Get changed into this. I'll be outside."

Nobody stops me, so I decide to explore. After all, this is my first time in an alien lab. What's the worst that could happen?

I leave the interrogation room and, having no destination in mind, I turn left, trying to open every door I come to. Most are locked, and the ones that aren't are either closets or other interrogation rooms. At the end of the hall is another set of double doors, but they're locked, so I turn around and go the other way. Find it to be the same way, with the exception of a bathroom and another hallway on the opposite wall. 

After exploring almost the whole floor, I discover that every hallway is the same. A corridor connects each hall in the middle. There are doors on each side of the halls, and I think every room is connected to two hallways. Each hall is labeled-Physics A, Biology C, etc., etc. For the most part, this floor is labs. I find myself back in the big office area I first arrived in. No one really gives me a second glance-it's so hectic that I somehow blend in. Before, I barely had enough time to glance around. Now, standing in the doorway, I take it all in.

How do they have money for all this? I wonder, looking at the amount of high-tech computers and monitors. There's no cubicles, but the desks are lined up in seven rows, all facing the front of the room. Up front is the man we first talked to upon arrival, sitting at his desk, occasionally barking out orders. Above him are two immense screens, occasionally flashing information. When there's nothing new (which is often), it shows every detail of Callie. Her picture, full name, birth place, etc. Under all that are big red letters: Class 6 specimen.

Specimen? I don't know why, but that bothers me. Callie's too complex and...well, human for me to think of her as just a specimen. And I'm really curious about "Class 6", but I don't know who to ask. I'd ask the guy up front, but my gut says don't trust him.

Oh, crap. Did we make a bad decision coming here? For the most part, I feel like the people here have good intentions. But the man up front seems to be in charge, and I don't get a good vibe off him.

Now I'm getting curious looks, and I think I should leave. I step out, shut the doors, and run back to the interrogation hall. But when I get back there, every room is empty.

"Shit!" I swore, but I don't go searching. Instead, I follow my gut and head back to Biology Hall B. This time, I find one of the doors to be open. Voices issue out of the open room.

I tip-toe down the hall and peer cautiously into the room. Two lab-coat-donning, clipboard-holding scientists have their backs to me. "You think this is a Tura dweller?" one asks.

"Matches that girl's description," the other responds.

I crane my neck to see the "Tura dweller". I clamp my hand over my mouth and stifle a gasp at the sight of the wet specimen, floating in a pale green liquid. At first sight, it looks like a tall, naked human. But then I take in the abnormally pale skin, the long black hair floating around its face, the double set of pointy front teeth.

So that's what Amacus looks like, I think, remembering the one Turamese Callie mentioned. I had suspected something went on between her and Amacus, but looking at the-if I'm to be honest-kind of grotesque creature in front of me, I doubt it now.

The scientist's next words shake me out of my thoughts. "Kinda weird we found this one where they found her, don't ya think?"

Author's note: Is anybody even reading this? I'm having fun writing it now, but I wouldn't be surprised if people gave up before this point.