Family Bonding

That afternoon when everyone was staying at the Malhotras', a Panditji had been called to finalize the dates for the engagement and the wedding. All of them were having a gala time, chit-chatting with each other. The ladies talked about the NGO and other household stuff while the men bonded over business and politics. Their family bonding had to be paused when Panditji entered the drawing room.

"Panditji, this is Dev, my nephew and this is Sonakshi, my best friend's daughter. This is Asha, and this is Bijoy Bose, Sonakshi's parents. You already know Ishwari and Anant Bhai.", Anjali said, introducing the people as mentioned (in that order) to Panditji. "Okay...", saying so, he asked for some details regarding DevAkshi, to their respective mothers. Having been informed, Panditji started looking for an auspicious date for both, DevAkshi's engagement and their wedding. Throughout this whole time, the new friends had been secretly stealing glances of each other, without the other's notice.

"Sagai ke liye ek mahine baad ka muhurat bohot achha hai. Aur shaadi ke liye do mahinobaad ka muhurat hai, ya phir uske baad che mahinobaad ka ek muhurat hai. Aap bataiye kaunsa muhurat pakka karde?", Panditji asked.

Everyone expectantly stared at DevAkshi to know their decision over the wedding dates. The engagement was to take place on the date mentioned before, a month later, due to the wishes of the three ladies of the family (as well as their respective better halves).

Before anyone could pester them to choose the earliest date possible, Dev jumped into the conversation and said, "Umm...everyone, may I please say something!?", glancing at everyone, his eyes finally settling on Sonakshi. "Yes, Dev, go ahead...", replied his father. "If you all; especially Sonakshi, you; don't mind, then can we please fix the marriage six months later?", he paused when his Mom interrupted him, saying, "But Dev..." He knew that she would make him bend his decision, for she was eager to make Sonakshi her daughter-in-law as soon as she could. So without letting Ishwari finish what she wanted to say, Dev said, "Ek minute Maa, please mujhe apni baat poori karne dijiye, uske baad aapko jo bolna hain, main sununga!" Ishwari blinked her eyes and nodded at Dev in affirmation. Dev smiled at her and continued, "See, I understand your excitement and eagerness to get the two of us married off, but I feel that Sonakshi and I should give our budding relationship some more time before finally settling down...we should explore every aspect of our relationship. We will get married...there are no two ways about it. Moreover, Sonakshi's college has just got over. She would need more time to explore the options to take her career further; which she won't get in the hustle-bustle of the wedding. Plus, my training too is in its last leg; which would mean extra pressure! Amidst it all, if I am not able to give some time to Sonakshi or our family or the wedding buzz in general; even if it is unintentional or so; then it would dishearten everyone and make me feel guilty as well. And I don't want it to happen. I don't want anyone's spirits to dampen. So, if you all don't have any objections then could we, please finalize the date of our marriage for six months later?"
Once done, he looked at everyone quizzically. They were staring at him in awe. Ishwari, Anant as well as Soumya had a proud smile on their faces; whereas Asha and Bejoy were smiling contently, with slight tears of ecstasy blurring their vision; on having chosen the perfect man for their daughter.

Sonakshi felt a whirlwind of emotions altogether while listening to every word that Dev had uttered. She felt lucky, blessed, proud, and another sweet bunch of emotions. After sparing everyone a glance after finishing his oh-so-sweet speech, his eyes finally settled on Sona (yet again). He got his answer when he noticed her lips curving in an upward direction, a small, peaceful smile breaking out on her face, and she mouthed him a 'Thank You!'. He smiled back at her and blinked in assurance; as if conveying that there was no need for her to thank him. "Aww, Bhai, you are soooo cuteeee.", Soumya exclaimed dreamily, with her hands clutched together over her heart; breaking DevAkshi's cute little eye-lock. Dev's eyes widened and then faking a glare, he said, "Chotiii! Call me anything but cute..." Soumya just rolled her eyes at her Bhai and stuck out her tongue at him, while the others just laughed at their nok-jhok.

"Thik hain phir Panditji, sagai ka muhurat ek mahine baad ka aur shaadi ka muhurat che mahino baad ka pakka kar dijiye.", Anjali told Panditji. He then noted the particular dates in his diary and left after instructing the family members regarding the preparations for the engagement.

Once Panditji had left, discussions over the menu for lunch commenced. Anjali then instructed Ramesh Kaka about the menu, keeping in mind everyone's favorites. Sona sneakily wandered off into the kitchen to prepare some sweet dishes by herself, to celebrate the special occasion, of the day. She decided to prepare 'Moong Dal ka Halwa,' which she knew was Dev's favorite sweet dish. While preparing the same, she had a stupid, silly smile on her face, the reason being the man; now her man; for whom she was toiling around.

She was almost finished with her cooking (and was utterly engrossed in it) when a tap on her shoulder broke her trance. She turned around to find Soumya standing at the entrance of the kitchen, leaning against the door frame, smirking evilly! 'Uh-oh! By the looks of it, it seems like she has seen me grinning like a fool!', thought Sona to herself and immediately concealed her happily-lost expressions, morphing them into innocent and somber ones and mumbled a meek 'Hello' to the little devil incarnation of their family. Soumya, on the other hand, was finding it hard to not laugh at her soon-to-be sister-in-law's nervousness. "It's okay Di, you need not be shy. You can smile as much as you want to. Main kissise kuch nahi kahungi. I know mere Bhai hain hi itne charming, ki koi bhi ladki unless wajah se smile kar sakti hain. You are fortunate to have him Di.", saying so, Soumya winked at Sona and giggled as she had hidden her face in her palms out of shyness. She released her hands after Soumya uttered the last sentence and said, "I know.," confusing Soumya. "What?", she asked Sona. "I know that I am fortunate to have your brother as my life partner - he is a gem. I feel blessed already.", Sona confessed sincerely; a genuine smile and an unmistakable glow, apparent on her beautiful face. Soumya too felt extremely happy at Sona's sudden yet sincere confession. She went up to Sona and hugged her; a gesture Sona happily returned.

Sona asked Ramesh Kaka to set up the dining table and along with Soumya, left the kitchen. When they entered the living room, they saw their families bonding and smiled at each other. Sona's smile widened on seeing the ever-so-silent-and-shy Dev, chatting happily with her Baba and so did Dev's, when he spotted Soumya and Sona walking out of the kitchen, giggling over something.

Ramesh Kaka announced that the table had been set and called everyone for lunch. While Ramesh Kaka and two other servants served everyone the rest of the lunch, Sona served everyone the halwa; saving Dev for the last. "I hope you will like it!", she whispered to Dev while serving his favorite sweet dish, making sure that no one noticed her; which thankfully for her, no one did. Dev smiled at her sweet gesture and Sona settled herself between Soumya and Dev, at Soumya's insistence. "The halwa is amazing Sona! But why did you toil so much, hmm? You could have asked Kaka to prepare it and you could have relaxed.", Raj asked Sona. The others and Sona smiled at his concern for her and Sona added, "I know that he would have made it, but I wanted to prepare it myself, as a gesture of my happiness and to celebrate the union of our families." Everyone smiled at her answer and also praised her for the halwa, but the real token of appreciation for her was when Dev emptied the last remnants of the serving bowl and licked his fingers to his heart's content, just like a small kid. Sona grinned widely at this behavior of his while the others chuckled.

The rest of the day passed away in a blur with truckloads of familial moments. In the evening, the Dixits and the Boses were ready to leave for their respective abodes, before kick-starting another long week. The females, including Sonakshi and Soumya, had planned to meet sooner for the engagement shopping; while their male counterparts were given the responsibility to arrange for the best-est event planners in the city to make DevAkshi's Ring Ceremony a gala ceremony, and also hand in their guest list. Sona and Soumya, exchanged their numbers; as did their parents; and promised to keep in touch through texts and calls, if not anything else. So did DevAkshi, who also promised to meet up for ring selection and outfit trial (as their outfits had to be color-coordinated).