Chapter 7: Ancestry

*Y/n POV*

I sat on the roof thinking about everything I learned yesterday.

I mean, a new weapon, new powers, mom's secret, and why Dad hasn't told me. I was more than a little confused.

The sun started to come up, and I heard a voice behind me.

"What are you doing up here Y/n?" It was Kiba.

I sighed, "Thinking."

He sat down next to me, "Might I ask about what?"

"Yesterday I got some interesting news. My sacred gear changed, to Death's Scythe."

He seemed shocked, "But that was lost hundreds of years ago."

I chuckled a bit, "That's what I thought too. Apparently, you need the Scythe of Decay, Funus' magic, and Death's magic to unlock it's full potential."

He thought for a moment, before speaking again, "If you need Death's magic, how did you get it?"

"That's what's got me thinking." I sighed again, "Apparently, my mother was a descendant of Death, meaning, I have Death's magic."

"Did your parents never tell you?"

"My mother died after I was born, and my Dad kept it a secret for eighteen years. That's why I'm so confused. Why would Dad hide it from me?"

He stared at the rising sun for a minute, scratching his chin, "Why not just ask him?"

"Hmm?"

 "Yeah," He got up, "Why not just ask him? From the way you talk about him, he doesn't seem to be the type to lie."

That was the truth. Dad wasn't the lying type. It wasn't that he was super honest or anything, he just didn't give a shit.

"That's... actually a good idea." I extended my wings, and started flapping them, hovering in the air, "Tell everyone that I'm going to talk to my dad, see ya!"

I flew off before he had the chance to respond. I kept flying until I saw the entrance to the Shinigami Realm. I eventually arrived, I couldn't see Dad anywhere, so I flew to the group of shinigamis I knew would be gambling nearby.

I flew up and saw them were they always were.

"Hey guys," I said, landing near them, "Where's my dad?"

"Shinigami king's place."

"Thanks."

I flew away at top speed, and the King's palace, a giant carcass of...something. I never really bothered to ask, nobody really knew what happened before the shinigami realm looked like this.

I landed and saw Dad standing next to the King's throne, they were both looking like they were expecting me.

"Hey Dad."

"Good to see ya kid, hope things are going well?" Dad said.

"Yeah well," I started, "Just confused."

The King stood up and stretched his old, black wings, "I'll let you two settle this."

He flew away, and Dad walked past me, "Come walk with me, kid."

We walked for a while, passing the dead landscape, "Why didn't you tell me anything, Dad?"

"I wanted to kid, I really did. Your mother was really secretive of her grandfather. You know, Old Man Death."

I looked down, information flying all around my mind, Dad continued, "Your mother also ave you the scythe, she knew you would unlock it's full potential. Show me the scythe."

I summoned the scythe, and Dad took it out of my hands. He started chanting something into the blade, and words that looked like ancient demonic appeared in red on the blade. The words soon disappeared.

"That was a chant your mom told me to say when you unlocked it's true potential. She knew this would happen."

"Mom knew everything, didn't she?"

"Yeah, she really did."

I stopped and looked up, looking at nothing. "So, anyone else I should know about?"

Dad stopped and started scratching his chin, "Hmm, your cousin."

I turned back to him, "Who the hell is that?"

He shrugged, "No clue. Don't really give a shit, either."

I stared at him incredulously for a minute, before laughing. Dad started laughing too, and we looked like massive idiots.

"So typical, Dad."

Dad stretched his wings, "Yeah, but I'll never change."

I stretched my wings as well, "Well, I should get back, I'll need the devils to help me find this cousin of mine."

"You're really gonna go looking for Death?"

"Please," I said, "I have the scythe, I'm the real Death here. I just wanna know the truth about the past."

He sighed, "I won't stop you, so I wish you luck."

"Thanks Dad. See you later."

"Right. See ya round kid."

I flew off at top speed, reaching the portal in record time. For some reason, I felt stronger, faster, better. It must of been those words Dad chanted.

'This just keep getting more and more exciting. I love Earth!'