Surprise

Hermione rang the doorbell. The effect was instantaneous.

"EDWAAARRRD! The kids are at the door."

Hermione took Draco's hand in hers. The pad of his thumb ran across her knuckles, calming her nerves.

He winked.

The door opened to reveal the mildly exasperated countenance of Edward Granger. "Princess, you look beautiful," he said, sweeping his daughter up into a hug. Without releasing her, he let his gaze fall on Draco. His grin slipped slightly as he addressed him. "Draco."

Draco nodded. "Edward."

Ah, snap!

Edward's grin slipped a little more, his eyes boring into Draco's, daring him to blink first. But Draco stubbornly refused to emote. He was a Malfoy, dammit, and he could do this all day.

The clouds shifted, delivering a beam of sunlight to bounce off the windshield of the BMW Draco and Hermione had rented for the journey. The reflection caused Edward's attention to deviate.

Draco smirked. I won, arsehole.

"Hermione, is that your car in the driveway?"

"It's just a rental, Daddy. It's such a nice day, Draco and I decided to drive."

Edward glanced at the pale gray sky as it very Englishly threatened to rain. "Living in Scotland has really done a number on you, Princess."

"I quite agree, Edward," Draco said, ignoring the way the older man's forehead vein throbbed at him. "Which is why I'm sure you'll be pleased to learn that she's in the process of moving her things to my home in Wiltshire."

Hermione shot Draco a warning glare as Edward resumed his previous stance of staring unblinkingly at Draco. "She's what?"

Jean Granger appeared in the doorway, holding a glass of Chardonnay. "Edward, dear, why are the kids still out here on the porch?"

Edward ignored her. "You mean to tell me that you and my daughter will be living together before you're properly married?"

Draco feigned innocence. "I thought you'd be pleased, Edward. After all, Wiltshire's quite a bit closer to Hampstead than the Scottish Highlands."

Jean grinned. "That's marvelous! Isn't that marvelous, Edward?"

The man didn't seem to be breathing as he glared at his daughter's fiancé. He said nothing, but motioned for the two of them to enter the house, his gaze never leaving Draco's. Just before

Draco followed Hermione through the doorway, Edward stuck his arm out, blocking Draco's path.

Draco might have appeared undaunted by his future father-in-law's sudden act of mild aggression if not for the bob of his Adam's apple. He waited.

Edward said nothing but continued to hold Draco's gaze. After several seconds, his eyes flashed as he lifted his arm to allow Draco into his home. "We'll discuss this later."

Draco's heart pounded as he accepted Edward's empty gesture of hospitality. He wondered if using his magic to defend himself against the inevitable beating Edward would inflict upon him when he learned of Hermione's pregnancy could possibly be defensible in the Wizengamot. Just imagine how that would go. "No, you don't understand, Your Honor. This man was a dentist! He's fucking scary." Somehow, he doubted it would fly.

He followed the sound of Jean's voice into the foyer. "Ah. There you are, Drakey, dear. Let me take your coat, and then you and Min can GO INTO THE LIVING ROOM AND MAKE YOURSELVES A DRINK."