Chapter 26

Daniel POV

When I first woke up, I sent a text to Ethan, hey no need to drive me to school today, I'm already walking. It was a lie, but I knew he got home very late last night and I didn't want him to have to wake up too early just to give me a ride. Alright just tell me if you run into any trouble. I smiled. My mom was conveniently still asleep when I left the house, and I walked to school, unbothered. I hadn't seen the white BMW in a few days, and was starting to worry less about that and the creepy man that came with it.

Mason and his crew didn't bother me at school at all. In fact, he didn't even look at me when passing by in the halls. It seemed like to him, I was invisible. While I still didn't have any friends to talk to, it was the happiest I'd ever been in high school. I sat in the back as usual, during Chemistry class, and Mason came in about fifteen minutes late, accompanied by Sarah. They sat two rows in front of me, Sarah whispering endlessly to Mason, with a glance back at me. He seemed to be trying to ignore her, but she wouldn't stop whispering. I tried to eavesdrop, but couldn't hear one word. She was talking too fast.

After many irritated glances to the two of them, our teacher Mr. Bennett turned curtly to them.

"Sarah, Mason, please save the chit-chat until after I'm done with my lesson, thank you." Sarah shut up and nodded, embarrassed, while Mason did nothing.

After class was over, Mason was the first one out, with Sarah on his heels. I felt a little uneasy about what they could be talking about, but I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind.

I was already late to my next class and I'd been rummaging through my locker, looking for a pencil, when I finally gave up and closed the door, immediately jumping a foot back when I saw Sarah waiting behind it. After regaining my composure, I gave her a nasty glare and started to walk.

"Daniel, wait!" She followed me through the halls. I walked faster and continued to ignore her. She grabbed my shoulder and I violently turned around, actually causing her to take a step back.

"What do you want?" I spat.

"I was just wondering if you... wanted to come with me to a-"

"No." I cut her off and turned back around.

"But, Daniel-" there was pleading in her voice.

"Why are you talking to me?" I asked bitterly, when she stepped in front of me.

"Daniel, please just listen to me," she looked around the empty hallways "I swear I didn't plan any of what happened-"

"I don't care." I interrupted her harshly, then walked past her. This time, she didn't try following me.

Ethan POV

It was one in the afternoon when Hank tripped over me, waking me up. I groaned. I'd fallen asleep in the living room after getting home extremely late last night, then woken up around seven when Daniel texted me, and had gone back to sleep after responding.

"Dude you're still asleep? It's one o'clock!" I mumbled something back to him. He sat down on the couch and turned on the tv, turning the volume up. Well now I can't sleep. I angrily sat up and glared at him. He gave me an innocent smile back. I sighed and stood up, grabbing a banana for breakfast and texted Daniel, asking him what time he was off.

"Hey I'm going to CVS." I said, yawning, and grabbing my keys. Hank turned around on the couch.

"What for?" He asked curiously.

"Nothing, bye." He rolled his eyes and I left the apartment, driving for about five minutes until I reached CVS. I walked towards the pharmacy and stopped at the isle right next to it. ScarAway sounds legit... but should I get the gel or the tape? I looked around me, and when I saw no workers nearby I grabbed both and hid them in my pockets. I then grabbed five dollars from my pocket, walked to the counter and got two snickers bars. The middle aged woman at the register gave me a suspecting look, but I walked out of the store and back to the car without a scene. Daniel responded, I'll be done in 10, thanks! So I made my way to the high school.