Chapter 34

Hey all, this ones a bit longer than usual, but I had to fit a lot in! Enjoy ;)

Ethan POV

I woke up with Daniel's head leaning against my arm. I felt his body warmth inches from me and I froze for a second before the events of last night came back to me. I sighed quietly.

What am I gonna do?

Daniel rolled over to his other side and continued to sleep. I resisted the urge to reach my arm around him and bring him closer to me. I sat up against the headboard and leaned my head back, closing my eyes. The only thing that I could think of that'd resolve everything was to just run away. Somewhere nobody would bother following us to.

Daniel mumbled something in his sleep and shifted again. I watched the steady rise and fall of his chest. He looked troubled in his sleep, but at the same time at peace. before the thought came across my mind that it was Monday. I checked my phone and saw that it was eleven in the morning.

Shit. Daniel has school.

I contemplated whether I should wake him up before realizing it was his choice to go or not. I reluctantly reached out to shake his shoulder.

"Daniel," he stirred and mumbled something incoherent, then turned to his other side, pulling the blanket over himself more and falling into a deeper sleep. I waited a minute before trying again.

"Daniel, don't you have class? I can drive you." He slowly dragged himself upwards and looked at me, his face blank from exiting a deep sleep.

"What time is it?" He asked drowsily. I gave him a warm smile before breaking the news.

"It's eleven." He paused a second before jumping out of bed.

"Fuck!" He ran to the drawer and tore it open, grabbing a shirt and jeans, then dashed to the bathroom. Three minutes later he tore open the door, fully dressed ready for school. "Okay I'm ready!" I suppressed a laugh and put my shoes on, following him out of the house. He got in my car quickly and I started driving.

Daniel POV

When I woke up, I tried not to not be awkward about waking up in bed next to Ethan. I remembered asking him to come to bed, but I wondered what he thought after that. It was a pretty quiet car ride, and I was just thinking of how I'd missed so much class this year I was unsure if I'd be able to graduate. The thought was looming over me when I said bye to Ethan. He drove away. I noticed I'd gotten to school at lunchtime again. I was walking up the main stairs when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Daniel." I turned and was surprised to see Max's worried face looking back at me. He looked like he hadn't slept all night.

"Hey, what're you doing here?" I asked. He looked surprised.

"I left you like a hundred messages this morning I was scared those guys stalked you down and..." he looked around before whisper-shouting dramatically, "killed you!" I quickly pulled my phone out of my pocket and there they were; thirty unread messages from Max and twelve missed calls. I felt horrible.

"I'm so sorry Max I went to bed and slept in so late I didn't look at my phone all day," he shook his head,

"It's okay. I just have a horrible feeling about last night Daniel." I nodded, while he went on. "They were watching us. For a while. They were after us, they had to know we weren't gang members or anything. You know what it reminded me of?" I thought about it before thought started trickling in and he continued.

"That guy. The first shift you had at the store. He came in and knew your name and I told him to leave, remember?" I nodded, my stomach dropping. If that were the case, I was as good as dead. He knew where I lived.