Chapter 3

Amidst all the laughter and tinkling of glasses and plates in the restaurant, Leslie was very preoccupied. She didn't know why she was so unable to shake this dark cloud that had enveloped her earlier that day. Her friends were chatting playfully and catching up on the happenings in their families.

Margaret Wood, Leslie's old college roommate and now coworker, was telling a story about how Mike, her husband, had decided to watch a YouTube video on how to fix a garbage disposal. "Mike is not the handiest of men, and the tutorial was completely lost on him." Margaret related with gusto. "I warned him that if he tried to fix the garbage disposal that it would end in tears and me calling a plumber, but no, he had to go ahead with his half-cocked plan. You should have seen him at the hardware store! He looked like a little, lost puppy. It was cute and honestly, a little sad. He finally got home, and was lying on the floor under the kitchen sink hitting something under there with a hammer, yes; you heard that right, a hammer. Before he was done fixing it, I called Roto Rooter, but unfortunately not before irreparable damage had been done. Mike hit something one too many times, and a pipe came loose; the kitchen was flooded with water and smelly, old food bits. Needless to say, Mr. Roto Rooter charged us a pretty penny to fix that one!"

The group of ladies laughed. "I'm sure that's the last time he pulls a DIY stunt like that!" April snorted.

"Not on your life!" Margaret answered. "When I was leaving the house, he was looking up how to fix a hot water heater! I was glad that tonight was our monthly girls' night, because if I had stayed at home, it would have turned into a crime scene for sure!" Margaret rolled her dark eyes and tucked a tendril of auburn hair behind her ear.

"Leslie, are you doing alright? You have been awfully quiet tonight," Elle asked with concern.

At the mention of her name, Leslie came back to reality. "What was that?" she asked Elle.

"I just wanted to make sure you are doing ok. You haven't been your bubbly self at all tonight. Do you have something on your mind?" Elle inquired, her kind, brown eyes searching for a way to help.

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Leslie declared with more confidence than she felt. "I think I'm just tired."

"I know what's going on with you, girl," April said. The friendly African American woman always had a suspicious mind and an opinion she was not afraid to share. "You've got a man! Tell us about him. We deserve to hear about him and decide if he's worthy or not!"

The fact that April could be so close to the problem and still so far away left Leslie without any idea how to answer. Her hesitation to respond only added fuel to the fire of April's vivid imagination. "Where did you meet him? Have you done a thorough background check yet? Please tell me he doesn't have a rap sheet!"

It became imperative that Leslie get her act together and combat the verbal assault she was receiving from her friend, April. Finding her voice, she tried to set the record straight, "There isn't a man, April. Things could not be any more normal in my life than they are right now."

"Then we need to fix that right away!" April said with determination.

"I don't think it's that easy, April," Leslie chuckled. "I don't want to just settle for the first person who pays attention to me! I have standards, you know."

"And there's nothing wrong with standards. Standards are great, but you can't just wait around and do nothing!" April postulated as she pointed her fork in Leslie's direction to emphasize her point. "My sister has been scouring the internet; I think she said on some Christian Cupid site. She has been out with three different guys in the last week. Why don't you try something like that?"