Chapter 14

I want to dedicate this chapter to @mariaola2000.  Her comments have been a huge encouragement to me, and I appreciate her interest in this story more than I can adequately express!  Thanks girl, I'll let you know when I need advice on baby names ;) 

     When Greg saw Leslie in the auditorium, he was torn as to what action he should take. When their eyes met, and he saw that one tear fall, it was as if someone had knocked the wind out of him. "She's not angry; she's hurt, and that is so much worse. I never wanted to do anything to cause her pain. She has been through enough, and just yesterday I was her safe place. Jenna's right, there may be no coming back from this." As the group stood for the first song, Greg stole a glance to his left where Leslie and Ashley were located. It was clear to him that Leslie was doing her best to avoid eye contact. "She trusted me with her secret last night, and now she probably feels so betrayed."

Sending a silent prayer to heaven, Greg begged God to give him wisdom. He didn't want to blow everything now. Not when he was so certain that God was bringing them together.

He was brutally dragged back to his present situation by Angela's fingers lacing through his own. Attempting to free his hand from her surprisingly strong grasp, Greg finally managed to break loose of her clutches by faking a cough, and using his hand to cover his mouth. Clasping his hands behind his back he was able to dodge any forced hand holding that Angela might have planned. After taking their seats, Angela inched up to him as close as the chairs would allow, took his muscular arm in both of her hands, and nestled next to him for the duration of the service.

Greg knew he had to go to Leslie and talk to her after the service, but the problem would be keeping Angela occupied long enough for him to get to where Leslie was without her following him. That was the part the Lord would need to work out. It was completely out of his hands.

Now that he knew what he needed to do, he tried to hone in to what the preacher was saying. His attention span was very short, because his mind was on the talk he had to have with Leslie. Finally the 'amens' were said, and to Greg's relief, Jenna had anticipated his thoughts. She leaned over to Greg and said, "I'll keep Princess busy, you need to go talk to Leslie, like now. It's time for a little damage control."

Greg half walked and half ran over to where Leslie had been sitting, but all trace of her was gone. "She must have made a beeline for the door as soon as the service was over." His blue eyes scanned the people who were milling about and leaving the room. He zeroed in on a head of long blonde hair, and his breath caught in his throat. He got through the crowd as quickly as possible, thankful that Leslie's Sunday school girl, Amanda, had stopped her to ask a question.

As Leslie and Amanda finished talking, and the teen girl turned to leave, Greg took the opportunity and rested his hand on Leslie's shoulder. He could feel her body tense, as she turned around and saw him. Instead of her usual vibrant smile, her lips were in a tight, thin line. Her pale green eyes showcased the hurt she was feeling.

"Leslie, I...Let me explain." Why couldn't he form a coherent thought? He knew he had to speak with her, but why hadn't he figured out what he was going to say?

"There's nothing to explain, Greg." Leslie's eyes misted with tears, making them a deeper shade of green. She was trying her best to speak with an air of detached indifference. "Of course you want to sit with your girlfriend in church; that's perfectly normal. I'm sorry I won't be able to go out to eat with ya'll this afternoon; I'm not feeling very well. Have a good time!" Leslie turned to walk away, and Greg caught her by the arm.

"Leslie, please hear me out. It's not what you think, I-"

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you, Mister." Angela stood up on her tip toes, and kissed Greg on the cheek.

Greg loosened this grip on Leslie's arm, and as she moved out of his reach, he could feel his dreams slip away with her.

*********************************************************************************************

Leslie barely made it to her car before the dam of her emotions broke loose. As she sobbed, she tried to form a prayer. "Lord, why? Why did I misjudge the situation so badly? I should have just been satisfied getting to know Adam, but I let Greg in! I trusted him! Help me to get past this, and keep my eyes on You."

Once her tears had slowed enough, she started her car and headed home. She didn't feel like eating lunch, so after taking Waldo outside for a minute, she changed into her sweats, and got out a Snuggie. She turned on Les Misrables, the movie she always watched when she was feeling sad. It made her cry from start to finish, and she felt like she really needed that this afternoon. Sensing Leslie's distress, Waldo curled up on her lap and licked the tears that streamed down her cheeks as Leslie lost herself in the drama of people who had problems far worse than hers.

About thirty minutes into the movie, Leslie was brought back to reality by a tentative knock on her door. Not wanting anyone to see her in such a state, she turned down the volume of the TV and hoped that whoever it was would think she wasn't home. To her dismay, the knocking continued.

"Leslie, I know you're in there. Your car is in the parking lot."

"It's Greg. What is he doing here?" Leslie heaved a sigh, still hoping he would take the hint and go away.

"Leslie we really need to talk, would you please answer the door?" The pleading sound in Greg's voice softened her heart a little bit.

Leslie quietly crept up to the door, and looked through the peep hole. She saw Greg pacing outside her door looking truly pitiful, and she unlocked the dead bolt. Slowly she opened the door, still in her zebra print Snuggie.

A look of relief spread over Greg's face when he saw Leslie standing in the doorway. "Leslie, please let me talk to you about what happened in church today." Noticing her tear stained face, Greg had to summon all the strength that was in him not to take her in his arms and give her the comfort she so desperately needed. This was not the time for that though. First she had to know what really happened.

"Angela is just a girl I went on a date with one time. As far as I was concerned one time was more than enough, but she followed me to church this morning. She has no sense of boundaries, and I have never been more uncomfortable in my life than I was in church this morning. I know how it must look, but I had a serious talk with her after church. She knows that it's completely over, so I doubt I will see her again. Leslie, you're the one I care about, I can't bear the thought of losing you." Greg raked his fingers through his hair, and shot a pleading look to Leslie.

Her green eyes pooled with moisture, and she wiped her nose with the sleeve of her Snuggie. "Truly? You care about me?"

"Of course I do, Leslie. I never wanted to hurt you. You have to believe me. I care so much about you that I can hardly think of anything else. You're always on my mind. I can barely go to work and do a decent job, because you fill my brain."

The words took Leslie by surprise, and a fresh torrent of tears streamed down her cheeks soaking the fleece on her sleeved blanket.

Greg took a step towards her and gathered her into his arms. He held her close as she cried, stroking her soft, golden hair.

Leslie rested her head against his chest; her arms wrapped around his waist. Melting into his embrace, she allowed him to hold her.

"I'm sorry Greg," she sobbed into his chest.

"What do you possibly have to be sorry for?" Greg kissed the top of her head tenderly.

"I'm sorry for getting your shirt all soaked," Leslie wailed.

Greg chuckled, "Leslie, you can soak my shirt any time you want!"

So I just had to include one of my favorite songs from Les Miserables.   I can imagine that Leslie felt like Eponine did when she saw Marius falling for Cosette.