Chapter 4

Jenna Fielding squealed with delight as the laptop screen came to life. "Oh Greg! I'm just so excited! I can't wait to see who they match you up with!"

Greg wasn't as certain about this endeavor as Jenna seemed to be, but her excitement was contagious. He was quickly feeling like this could be an adventure, but reminded himself that the results would be in the Lord's hands, and he would need to bathe this experiment in prayer every day.

"Ok, so, ChristianCupid.com," Jenna typed with a look of concentration on her face. "Create account. We're in! Now for the most important part; your screen name. You should pick something that will draw the girls in and make them want to know more about you."

"That would make me feel a little creepy. The only other kinds of people who try to draw girls in are the guys with white vans full of puppies!" Greg laughed out loud.

Jenna gave him a playful punch on the arm. "You know what I mean! You can't be Greg123, no one would even take the time to look at your profile, although, you're good looking enough that a few girls might give you a chance."

Feeling a blush creep up his neck, Greg did his best to change the subject. "Well, Greg123 was my first and only thought. What would you suggest, Jenna? You seem to be a pro at this, strangely enough. You should be worried, Will; your wife might have a secret profile on this site!"

Will's infectious laughter filled the room. "I guess I'll have to keep close tabs on her then!"

"Let's think of interesting words that rhyme with Greg." Jenna tapped her chin as she thought.

"Leg!" Will blurted out.

"That's a useless word, Will! How could we ever have a profile name with the word leg in it?" Jenna was laughing so hard, she was close to tears.

Will's next suggestion was not much better. "Beg! That's a useful word; I'm sure of it!"

By this time both Jenna and Greg were bent over with laughter, and they couldn't get their words out. When Greg finally regained his composure he said, "You know, Will, I don't think a work like beg would put me in the best light."

"I guess not," Will conceded with a hearty laugh. "Women are not going to want a beggar! Fact!"

"We are getting nowhere with your first name, Greg. What's your middle name?" Jenna tapped on the mouse to bring the sleeping screen back to life.

"My middle name is Adam."

"Now that I can work with!" Jenna began to type something into the computer.

"Hey now, what are you naming me?" Greg craned his neck to catch a glimpse of what Jenna was typing.

"You've got to trust me on this Greg; it's really a great name, and very romantic!" Jenna giggled behind her hand.

Concern was growing inside Greg, "What did she do?" he wondered.

Jenna turned the screen in Will's direction, and an impish smile spread across Will's handsome face. "Yes! That is perfect! Just enough pizzazz, but not too over the top!"

"Don't you think I should have some say in this?" Greg raised his eyebrow in mock annoyance.

"I suppose so!" Jenna turned the laptop screen at an angle where Gregg could finally see.

"HappilyEverAdam? That's kind of ridiculous, is that really something that women find interesting?" Greg was a little skeptical that he could be taken seriously with a screen name like that.

"Trust me, it's perfect!" Jenna was so excited about the name that Greg decided to let it slide. He could always change it later; that is, if he had the talent to think of anything better.

"Moving on," Jenna was typing furiously. "Three things about me. Tell me three things about you that you want your matches to know, Greg."

"I can't think of anything very extraordinary about me; I'm just so average!"

"Stop being so modest!" Will snatched the computer from Jenna's grasp. "You have to share your strengths. This is like a resume; if all you say is that you like long walks on the beach, you'll look like a real dud!"

"What do you suggest then, O great one?" Greg joked.

"Instead of writing three specific things, we should have a short essay on the things you are passionate about." Will began typing with determination. "There! That should do it."

"Ok, let me see what you did." Greg looked at the screen and read aloud. "I would like to share what I am most passionate about, so you can determine what kind of person I am. I love the Lord and want to serve Him in all that I do. I own my own business, and strive to make that a success as well. I will not feel truly successful unless I am honest in my dealings with my clients, and do my best to treat them as I would want to be treated. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my awesome friends, serving in church, and participating in sports. Also, I'm a world-class bowler. If there is anything more you want to know about me, send me a message...I'd love to talk!"

"What do you think?" Will asked.

"Other than that shameless plug you put in for yourself, I think it's pretty good." Greg scratched his forehead thoughtfully. "Do you think it makes me sound a little, I don't know, vanilla?"

"Absolutely not!" Jenna shook her head decidedly. "You are one of the most fun people I know. This is a very honest essay about you. Someone who shares your values and interests will melt when they hear what a godly man you are! Trust us, you'll thank us later."

After answering the remaining questions with lots of assistance from his friends, and lots of laughter all around, Jenna uploaded a few pictures of Greg. "That just about does it," Jenna said around a yawn. Looking up at the clock on the microwave, her yawn turned to a gasp at the lateness of the hour. "I guess time flies when you're having fun!"

The others were also shocked to see that it was after 2am. "Time for bed!" Greg said as he got up from the couch, stretching his arms above his head.

"You'll need all the sleep you can get. Got to have strength to answer all the messages you'll have in the morning," Will teased.

"I'm sure it won't be the flood of messages you think it will be. I'm hoping for one or two," Greg replied.

"Seriously Greg," Jenna rested a hand on her hip. "You really don't know your own worth! With that profile and those pictures, women would have to be pretty foolish to let you slip through the cracks. You're going to be a total heartbreaker!"

"That's my cue to get to bed," Greg said as he made tracks to the guest room. There was no way he was sticking around if Jenna was going to go on any longer singing his praises.

"Good night, Lover Boy!" Will teased.

As dark and quiet filled the apartment, Greg said a quiet prayer that God's will would be done in this situation. He prayed for wisdom to know when and how to talk to these women that his friends were so certain would contact him. He fell asleep as he whispered, "Amen."