one

Elayna Sparrow

| ten years ago |

Smoke.

I could barely see the village through my stinging eyes. The screams were muffled by the loud ringing in my ears, as another home went up in flames. Fire. We were surrounded by it. My home, my family.. turned to ash.  I saw a change in him that night - a monstrous change. Revenge filled his glowing, yellow eyes as he held my hand tightly, too tight, and rushed me away from the falling embers. He told me to remain hidden. Ao I did.

I begged him to stay hidden with me, my heart couldn't bare to lose him too. I watched my brother run towards the blazing fire; his claws a reflection of every bit of revenge and courage. He had never been able to change before tonight, I guess my brother finally found the strength to push through his transformation. I watched as he ripped through the men with torches. They wanted to hunt monsters - well now they found one. His movements so quick and agile, I couldn't tell one dead body from the other.

A sharp buzz from the arrow zipped past my ears, causing my entire world to stop when it collides with my brother.

He collapsed into a cloud of soot by the tranquilizer piercing his neck. My life swept away in one heartbreaking inferno, and now, I had to watch as a group of people, dressed in white coats, carried my brothers limp body away. I called for him, loudly, pleading that he would wake up and come save me. I didnt care if it gave away my hiding place. I needed him to be alive.

I was alone, in a village of ashes.

"Dr. Welch what about this one? She called him brother." A man says, though I continue to stare at the blackened ground, as a woman approaches me. The woman grabbed for my hand. I should have ran, but I couldn't. Where would I go? The last part of my soul had been stolen from me. She takes my finger and places it into a hand-held machine that pricks my finger, drawing blood to the surface for the monitor to read.

"She doesn't carry the species blood. She is only human." She says, disinterested.

"Then should we dispose of her like the others?" He asked her. I could feel my rapid heart beat within the finger tip, as the woman bends down, getting a closer at me. She uses her white sleeve to wipe away the black soot from my face.

"She's a pretty thing. Not to frail like the others." She takes me by the arms, and stands me to my feet, causing my book to fall from the pocket in my dress.  "And she must be well educated to be carring around such big books for her age." Hearing the woman talk about my book, the only remaining thing I have of my father, brought me back to my dreadful reality. I scoop the book up, clinching it to my chest. " We could use her as profit. add her to the human trade." The man pulls me away from my home, but not before prying the book from my trembling hands.

"Give that back." I say, sternly. "It's my only one with a happy ending." The man pauses just shy of throwing it into the fire.

"By all means," he tosses the book at my feet, "have it back. Because it's the only happy ending youll ever know." He laughs to himself at a silent, sick joke.

Though I didnt share the same fae gene as my brother, he wasn't the only one who could be a monster. And I would stop at nothing to find my him.

To be continued ... next: we will learn what happened to Elayna

R E A D E R INVOLVEMENT //

wonder what the Beast will have to do with her story? How do you think the two will meet?