A R I E L

A/N : This is my entry for the #DarkFantasy contest - Day 1 The Little Mermaid

"Triton!" his name rings through the silent air, followed by a burst of black light. He knew this time would come, however, he wasn't ready. In fact, he would refuse to hold up his end of the deal. After all, Ariel was his daughter. She was his world; so much so, that he would risk the consequence of whatever the sea witch deemed necessary. He wanted a daughter, needed a daughter.. and in the lowest depth, he reached out to the witch for help. And she did.

Triton waited in the throne room, alone. He made sure Ariel would be quite busy - out exploring the sea. The sea witch stood in front of him, an evil grin pulled on her face. She was as beautiful as the day he went to her.. no doubt a Siren at heart. That was what she was made to do, charm you, lure you, until there is no life left to be found. She enjoyed keeping the souls of her human prey locked inside a cursed shell.

 She enjoyed keeping the souls of her human prey locked inside a cursed shell

"Where is she, Triton? You can't keep her from me anymore. She is eighteen now, and she belongs to me."

"She belongs here. Her home." Triton says. sternly.

"Does she? You know she isn't like all the other precious mermaids in this kingdom. No, she is much, much more. I know you have seen it - glimpses of what her heart is truly longing for." The sea witch held tightly to the shell dangling around her neck. "Ariel knows she is different. Why do you think she would rather spend her time with a fish, rather than the other mermaids? Why do you think she has no interest in any of your mer-prince. Face it, old man, she is much like her mother."

"Be gone, Vanessa. We may have had a deal - but no more. You will leave, and never come back." Triton drew his iron sword from his side, and held it at Vanessa's throat.

"She will find me, Triton. She will seek me out. She will come to me for help whether you like it to not. And I will be waiting," she cooed, "You will not win this King Triton her thirst will never be quenched until she taste human blood."

"Father?" Ariel swims to her father side, as Triton lowers his sword. "What is happening?"

"Your father wishes to keep you from the truth." her eyes met Vanessa, and she felt a strange tug towards the stranger..

"Be silent, witch!" He snaps at Vanessa, who offers a smile at his daughter.

"Ariel, my dear, please go to your room."

Ariel was use to hiding truth - for she, had secrets of her own. She had already kept her desires hidden from her father, but now, it was much harder to resist. "But, father, I need to speak with you. Something is wrong.. I...I don't know what to do, and I need..."

"Your room. Now." Triton interrupted. Ariel turned and reluctantly left the throne room. She had never seen her father so tense. She wanted to tell him - she needed help, comfort.. for she had finally laid eyes on a human. From the moment she helped the sailor who had fallen over board, all she could think about was finding him.. and ...and...

Vanessa waited, for she knew it wouldn't be much longer until Ariel would find her

Vanessa waited, for she knew it wouldn't be much longer until Ariel would find her. Her minions had informed her of the contact Ariel had with a human, and followed her home. They spoke of how the mermaid would toss and turn in her sleep. How she would wake up, screaming in the night. Told her how Ariel requested every type of seaweed, but never felt full. And the more she ate, her body would purge it from her system. Triton feared for his daughters sanity, and locked her away in her room. Once Vanessa heard of such absurdness, she sent her minions to break Ariel free.

"Vanessa?" a raspy voice called from the opening of the cave.

"Ariel, I knew you would find me."

"I need help. And I figured the sea witch would know what to do."

"What would I have to offer you?"

"The truth. Something is wrong with me. The kingdom believes I am unfit to be a princess. And, I just need something to make the burning stop. I cannot control myself. I feel like I am starving, though, I have plenty to eat." Ariel swam over to the witch, and began to beg. "Please, help me."

Ariel watched as Vanessa returned with a small glass vile of crimson liquid. "Drink." she ordered, and Ariel did without hesitation. Her world began to spin as the warmth slid down her throat. Ariel collapsed to the floor, her last vision of the sea witch, smiling with pride. When she awoke, the truth had been made clear. She was no longer afraid of herself, for she finally knew who she was, and what she wanted. The burning had subsided, and been replaced by longing for more.

Vanessa  slithered over, and whispered in her ear. "You know what you are - now embrace it. A ship sails above us." she leans in, and places a kiss on Ariels forehead. "My daughter, you are finally home."

Ariel breaks through the currents, traveling at a speed she had never known. She would reach the ship within moments.

"Those poor, unfortunate souls." Vanessa laughs, before joining her daughter above the waters.

R E A D E R INVOLVEMENT //

Hmmm, do we think Ariel will continue down this path?