Chapter 16: Space Racing

Jack and Vyleria reached the North Pole of the asteroid less than an hour after setting off from the space station.

They could see all around for millions of miles. Behind them were three dim orbs and a ginormous red gas giant, its clouds swirling angrily. In front was a massive swarm of asteroids and dwarf planets that stretched all around the whole solar system. Some were as small as a car, whilst others, like the one they were on, were twice as big as the Earth's moon. Many were made of ice, whilst others seemed to be pure rock. Like a shoal of fish they glimmered in what little sunlight reached them in the shadows.

"Come on, this way," said Vyleria, pointing into the distance.

"Will we be space racing soon?" asked Jack, looking at the asteroids as they dangled around him.

"Shh patience," said Vyleria.

Jack did as he was told. He could do little else.

They walked for about another hour, the enormity of space rearing up all around them.

Then Jack saw something glinting in the distance.

Bulging out of an enormous crater was some kind of space station.

They got closer and closer until they came up against the crater's massive rim.

It looked to be easily one mile high and was almost vertical.

Just as he was contemplating climbing its rugged face Vyleria motioned him towards a large metal door at its base. It slid open as soon as they approached, revealing a large room that seemed to have been carved out of the rock.

Once inside, the door hissed shut behind them, their movement triggering the lights to come on.

Vyleria took off her helmet.

She breathed deeply.

Jack copied her.

Then she motioned him towards another door on the far side of the room.

They were now in some kind of small glass room.

"Space Locker Level One," she said.

Instantly, the room they were in whooshed upwards through a dark tunnel, the asteroid blurring all around them. Miles of rock streamed by in seconds. Then they shuddered to a stop and the doors opened, light flooding the elevator.

Jack had only just taken all this in when Vyleria tugged at his sleeve and directed him through a pair of large silver doors.

There were lockers down one side of the room and what looked to be changing rooms down the other. A row of glass benches separated the two down the middle.

"Okay Jack, I hope we can find something that fits," said Vyleria.

"Fits, what for?" he replied.

"For the race of course, silly."

"The what? I'm... I'm not... I've never. I don't know what to do."

"Don't worry, you'll be okay. This is only a simulation remember. It's not real."

"If it's not real then what's the point?"

"Because it's going to be EXCITING and besides, I've always wanted to do it."

"What? You mean to say you've never done this before?"

"Well, I'm only thirteen Jack. You have to be at least sixteen before you can even start to learn how to Space Race."