Chapter 1: I Go on an Insane Mission

*Update November 14 2018
Hey all! I'm putting this here because I realized I never actually put this anywhere in the story, and it might be confusing for new readers (which I still get after all this time, so thank you!)

I don't update The New Shane anymore. I developed the story more as I went on, and that combined with a writing style change meant I would have had to do crazy retconning to make the story work. So instead, I started over with the same story and same characters (just with a more solid plot and a couple name changes this time around!) called Take Back the Light. I am continuously updating TBTL, so if you're reading this now and want a better shot at a well-written fanfic with a plot that wasn't made up as I went, check that out! It's still the same story with Alana & co!

- Cyan

//I DON'T own Slugterra, NerdCorps, or anything within the domain, but I DO own Alana.

This is my first ever story so any advice or problems you spot, please cut me some slack ^-^ :)

Update: July 9, 2015
I'm going through here and editing some stuff. Future chapters are closer to between 600-7500 words. My writing's changed a lot, too, but I don't think I'll go as far as to rewrite old chapters quite yet.//

Now fully edited

Alana's POV

Okay, I'll admit, breaking into the Blakk Industries citadel wasn't the smartest move I've ever made, especially as a solo mission. But the jerks who worked for the notorious Dr. Blakk had stolen my Boon Doc slug, planning on ghouling it. There was no way I'd let that happen to Isis. So I slipped on a Blakk Industries uniform that I had stolen a few days back, hopped on my black and blue wolf Mecha beast, Midnight, and rode off to the citadel to rescue my slug. I knew it would be difficult, but I had no idea of the trouble I was about to get myself into!

Ash, my Infurnus slug, was perched on my shoulder, growling as the citadel came into view. "Okay," I told him. "Let's go get Isis back." I rode around to the back of the dark, looming building. I parked Midnight behind a group of rocks. Then I slipped on some red sunglasses and put my caramel colored hair, the tips dyed blue, in a high ponytail. Ash jumped into my bandoleer, complete with red slug canisters and a Blakk Industries 'V' sign on it. Then my Thuglett slug, Eris, jumped on my shoulder. "Do your stuff," I said with a smile. In a flash, all the slugs on my bandoleer appeared to be ghouls. Perfect. Then Eris 'ghouled' himself and hopped into a canister.

"Let's go," I said, my excitement growing. This would be fun.

Honestly? Getting into the citadel was a piece of cake. I just had to slip in a door that was open while two men were unloading some ghouls, probably delivered from a ghoul depot. But I knew getting out would be much harder than getting in. I'd have to get Isis, and maybe the other slugs they planned on going. Unless I did it in a perfect way and had a good excuse, my cover would be blown when I saved the slugs. Then I'd have to get out of the citadel (alive), which meant passing guards (alive) and getting out with the slugs (again, preferably alive).

I feel like I played my part well. I walked through the halls like I owned the place, glaring at any Blakk Industries workers who looked the least bit suspicious of me. I was afraid the insanely loud thumping of my heart would give me away, but I had no trouble at all. I rarely even got a second glance. My slugs/ghouls also did a convincing job, growling at every person we passed. It was a little strange, seeing the slugs that were my family as the abominations I knew as ghouls. But I used it for motivation- the sooner I rescued Isis, the sooner my slugs could go back to their normal selves.

Now, I've done stuff like this before. I've stolen slugs that were about to be ghouled from an unsuspecting Mecha beast rider. Alone. I've stolen ghouls off the Slugterran Express, and cured them with Isis. Also alone. I was almost an undercover Shane. I usually worked with some sort of disguise on, always trying to keep one step ahead of Blakk Industries in any way that I could. But I had never stolen from the citadel before. It was such a large, dark, and intimidating place, where peaceful slugs were turned into monstrous ghouls. Actually, saying it was intimidating was the understatement of the century. Inside, I suppose I was pretty scared, but I covered it with a fierce determination to get Isis back, and in the end, that's the only thing that got me through my mission.

My slugs were like my family. Blakk had torn my family apart once. I vowed to never let him do it again.

Now, I had tried to do the best recon work on this place as I could, but information about one of the most dangerous buildings in Slugterra wasn't exactly on a webpage on the SlugNet, you know? I had spent days watching the citadel from the outside, listening to as many workers as I could, trying to get a decent idea of what I was walking into. I probably would have spent more time there, watching and waiting for the perfect time to strike, but I knew time was ticking. A new shipment of dark water had been taken in this morning- which meant they would be ghouling slugs at some point this afternoon. Which was right now. It was now or never.

I knew the ghouling room was somewhere on the second floor after I overheard some workers talking to each other, but I never got an exact location. So I very professionally opened every single door I saw, usually walking in on some workers watching a slugball game, or transporting dark water. I really wasn't having much luck. I was starting to feel a flicker of doubt when a hand grabbed my shoulder.

I was so scared in that one moment, it felt like my heart just stopped. I turned around, glad for the glasses that covered my eyes. They had to be wide and terrified. In that moment I just thought, well that's it I guess, I'll probably be fed to the ghouls now. At least I tried, right? Or, a voice in my head said, we could try and lie our way out of this.

So I quickly recomposed myself and turned around. I came face-to-face with a Blakk Industries worker. "

You!" he said. "You don't belong here!" Oh great. Is it that obvious I shouldn't be here? "We need more workers in the ghouling room!" He pointed to a door down the hallway. Yes! He didn't realize! I just stood there, not believing my luck. "Get a move on! NOW!" the worker barked, taking me out of my daze of excitement. I scowled and rolled my cyan eyes.

"I'm going, I'm going," I snapped.

As soon as I turned away from the worker, I broke out into a large grin, relieved that I wasn't going to die. At least at that moment in time. I still had a long way to go before this mission would be considered a success. I looked down at Ash.

"We're getting pretty lucky today," I said with a smile. Usually I was a bit of a pessimist, but I was trying to be optimistic here. "Now let's go rescue Isis and the other slugs and get out of this place."

I opened the door and walked into the ghouling room confidently, ready to get my slug back.

The scene made my jaw drop.

I had the worst luck in the world! My little optimist thing dissolved right then and there.

And all I could think was, NO!

//Haha, cliffhanger! Comments are much appreciated! If you have any ideas, spelling reports, anything, message me, you'll get credit for any contribution at all :)//

//P.S. Sorry this was so short, chapters will get longer as the story gets going!//