Chapter 31: Stories and Discoveries

So yeah that's Dana, I'm a little proud of that. Check out my deviantart, I'm still xCyanSparksx there, and all my fanart is posted there

~~~~~~~~

Alana's POV

It had been a few hours, and I was "relaxing" on the bed in my hospital room. I had eaten plenty of food and had taken a much needed nap. Nightmares still plagued me in my sleep, but I tried to keep those out of my mind. Whenever I'd feel panic grip me as I thought about the dark water, I'd look up at the mirror next to my bed and convince myself that I was completely fine. I mostly looked the part.

My worn slugslinging clothes hung on a rack in one of the corners of the room, my boots neatly set next to them. I wore some clothes the Healers had gotten for me- a white, short-sleeved shirt with gray capris. I'd brushed out my hair and tied it in a ponytail, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't hide the red streak without making my hair feel awkward or my ponytail to be completely to one side or the other. The red was rather frustrating. I'd already hacked away at it with scissors. Even my Thresher slug had no luck in cutting it. Sam promised we would try to dye it tomorrow.

My slugs had been reunited with me, and still refused to leave my side. Ash was curled up and asleep on my shoulder. My other slugs were scattered around my bed, most of them sleeping. I'd been told that they had refused to rest at all until I was safely back in the hospital. Times like these made me wonder how Dana could ghoul slugs. Who would ever want to change them? They're perfect. They had more heart than half the people I've ever met.

Then again, the best five people (well, three people, a cave troll, and a molenoid) I'd ever met were either MIA or-

As if on cue, Sam walked in the room, smiling as always. She seemed more cheerful than usual. Maybe it was because I'd successfully started to heal. Maybe it was just because she had power over me now and could tell me what to do.

"Hey, do you wanna go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat?" Sam queried. I softly moaned and shook my head.

"I'm fine. I've eaten a ton," I said quietly, not wanting to wake my slugs up. They deserved the rest.

Sam looked disappointed. "Please? I need a valid excuse to go and get some more food."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. But I'm just getting a juice box or something," I said humorously. Sam fist pumped and pushed the wheelchair over from near the door. I immediately frowned.

"Sam, I don't need that," I began to argue, but she cut me off.

"You will not walk for the rest of today, okay?" Sam pleaded. "Just to make sure you're not pushing yourself. Besides, I think your slugs like riding it," she added with a laugh.

I sighed, but nodded. "Fine. The rest of today only," I murmured. Then I shook my shoulder lightly. "Ash? Hey, buddy, I gotta get up."

The Infurnus hazily opened his warm scarlet eyes, yawning and stretching out. For a slug with bright colors and flames, he looked pretty asleep. But he chirped out to my other slugs and seemed to become more energized as they woke up. Sam and I laughed as they all began to hop all over the wheelchair, claiming their spots on what they clearly saw as a fun ride. Some sat on the wheel spokes, some near the handles, some on the armrests. Anywhere they deemed comfortable.

Smiling, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and lowered myself into the chair. Ash remained on my right shoulder, as guard-like as ever. He made a bit of a purring sound and rubbed against my cheek as Sam pushed me out the door and down the hallway.

The cafeteria was just outside the atrium, to the left. It was a wide room with lines of tables and chairs. There was a line of food to choose from, from salads to sandwiches. One corner hosted a kid's area with bean bag chairs, televisions, and toys. Patients who could be out and about as well as their families were scattered around the room, eating and chatting. The dinner crowd was just barely starting to come in.