Chapter 28: I Seem to Attract Trouble

Update, yay

~~~~~~~~

Alana's POV

My main mistake was not planning ahead. Here I was, in tears, riding Midnight in the middle of the night, with no plan on where to go. The hideout wasn't an option- I couldn't face the gang like this. After everything I'd seen in past hour or so, my head was muddled and aching. Ash and Isis tried to comfort me. My other slugs seemed unsure on what to do. The Hypnogriff, whom I had deemed Cipher, stayed on Midnight's neck. He didn't seem eager to meet my other slugs.

Ash jumped down on the control pad of my Mecha, squeaking. I rubbed tears off my face as he pointed to the small SPS (Slugterran Positioning System) on the screen. He must know somewhere to go. I nodded and steered Midnight in the direction he'd pointed.

"Thanks," I said, wincing as my voice cracked. I hadn't been talking much on the ride- just crying. Pretty unusual for me. I rarely cried. But after all these memories in my head, it was too much. Every dark shape I rode past morphed into fire, or a dark slugslinger ready to attack. Every time I closed my eyes, I thought about my parents and the home I left behind.

"Do you have any more of my memories?" I asked Cipher suddenly. The Hypnogriff slowly nodded. "D-do you have any good ones?" I managed a small smile. "I could use some cheering up." Cipher nodded happily. He seemed glad to be of use.

Cipher hopped forward and looked directly into my eyes. His own eyes glowed pink, and the dark forest around me dissolved.

~~~~~~~~

There were many people and Mecha beasts roaming around. My mom, dad, and Alana- who looked three- were riding on the wolf Mechas I had seen in the memory with the fire. My mother rode RN-GR, which I guessed was Ranger. My father steered AE-RW, which had to be Aerrow*. And on my dad's shoulders sat Alana. She had her short arms on Dad's head and looked unhappy with all the traffic.

"Beep, beep!" Alana yelled. "C'mon, let's go! I wanna go swim!" The other Mecha riders didn't seem annoyed. Instead, they laughed and waved to the three-year old admiringly. The scene was lighthearted until a cold voice sounded behind Alana.

"How pathetic! So much for the realm's next protector!" Alana frowned and turned. My mom and dad did as well. There were three Mecha riders knocking people out of the way to get to my family. The leader was a young man with messy brown hair and amber eyes. To his left rode a girl with rusty orange hair and brown eyes. And to the first man's right rode another man. He had blonde hair and green eyes. All three rode expensive-looking horse Mecha beasts.

"Your family is a nuisance! You should just stay out of other people's business. Always have to be playing hero," the leader of the trio scowled. He pulled his blaster, and my eyes widened as he aimed it right for Alana.

Even as a little girl, Alana understood that she was in danger and gasped, ducking down and tensing herself up. The Mecha riders around us scattered, abandoning the soon-to-be dueling area. I gasped as the leader of the three fired his blaster- a Rammstone. Then a few things happened at once.

My father quickly pulled Alana down off of his shoulders and pulled her in close to him. Alana yelped and clung to him. And my mother sped her Mecha forward, loading her blaster with a Bubbaleone in the process. She aimed and fired with incredible speed. The Bubbaleone transformed just in time. The Rammstone was rebounded and flew back at the trio.

The street was now empty except for the slingers. My mom rode up to my dad and scooped Alana up in her arms. My dad then pulled out his own blaster to deal with the troublemakers.

The duel was heated, but it was extremely easy to tell who had the advantage. My dad was quick and efficient. I found myself making mental notes of the way my dad fought. He was a natural. And while his style differed, it reminded me of Will's slugslinging. It was a little bittersweet, but I was glad to be able to see it.