Chapter Twelve

We throw salt water on the two Lunes until they rouse.

"The others will come after us!" Cries broken-nose. The other one, terrified, remains tight-lipped.

I tweak his nose, hard. He screams in pain as something cracks. I grin. "Oh, someone's coming after you? That's funny. Someone in Lune's put a price on my head too." I shift my focus on each of them, rearing the last of that broken prod back to its full, electrical glory. "Tell me who, and I throw you overboard. You get a shot to swim for the docks."

"What happens..." the electrocuted one begins, slowly, almost stunned. "If we don't?"

"I throw you overboard," my grin widens. I slam the prod beside their head. They scream in fear. "But I weigh your body down with stones, tie your hands, and cut off your toes too so you can flop around like a beached seal."

"Please," broken-nose wails. "My father's harbor master. He'll pay you as much as you want, pirate!"

I slam the rod into his ribs. He cries out in pain.

Kura Nur, dressed in borrowed clothes from Ali, is nursing some hot liquor. She grins to see him squirm in pain. "Hit him again!" She laughs with glee. Farzaneh sighs impatiently, setting about stitching up Kura's wounds with a numbing cream.

"Perfect. Your daddy's the one who put a price on my head. Talk, boy."

Broken-nose, squirming and clasping at his nose and ribs, squeaks out. "The Godkiller! The Godkiller's running a revolution against the gods. And they're headed to the seat of Rahasian power now, to execute every addle-minded worshipper there! Everyone else will be forced to accept the new ways of Lune, of our logical illumination." He spits out the last bit, a mix of blood and a horribly sour, burnt odor. "I say good riddance to the gods and their Champions. Humanity first! All else second."

This Godkiller fellow has sided with the Matriarch of Truth in a coup against the gods. They also went ahead and murdered the other Champion of Kane.

Well, isn't that nice?

"Thank you, gentlemen." I nod to Xander, who hefts the cowards up with ease. "Throw them overboard."

Kura limps to the railing to watch them flail.

"Oh, and Kura?"

She turns to me, half her face swollen, still awaiting Farzaneh's healing.

I hand her the electric baton, broken fingers aching. I'll need to ask Fari for some extra healing poultice for my sore knuckles. "Let them get a head start, then throw this after them. Farzaneh told me something... interesting happens when lightning meets saltwater."

The con-woman has never looked happier. Which makes me wonder if she's all that sane.

Then I realize something.

Like I should be one to talk.

I turn to the rest of the crew. "We sail for the deserts near Rahasia. And then, we trek to Lioness Gate." I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. Adjusting my jacket. "I need to warn Emperor Elio and Consort Ryu that the Godkiller is coming to take them over just like they did to Lune."

"Do you really think an Emperor's going to listen to a bunch of pirates?" Jun asks, making her usual climb up the rigging.

"Serkan, father to Ode Ngayoh, was the Cleaver of Men and the finest General in the Emperor's army. That ruthless, bloodthirsty man fell in love and married Ahava, the Witch Queen." Farzaneh's voice now, quietly, but firm. "My point is that crazier things have happened in Rahasia." She gets to her feet, staring off towards the horizon. "A group of pirates, a different witch, and a con-woman are the least of the Emperor's worries."

***

Hey, Pirates,

Ali: So, who the hell is this Godkiller asshole?

Lucky: The author will tell you in good time.

Farzaneh: I doubt the author even knows.

Me: Oh, ye of little faith.

Kura: I have a feeling she knows. (looks around shiftily) But, in the meantime, I think I see something bad on the horizon.