Chapter Thirty-Five

It's been four days since Ode's pronouncement that Champions are all but obsolete.

On the first day, I refused to get out of bed.

The second, I drank water, and nibbled on flatbread, my hunger overtaking me.

The third, I wandered the palace at night, staring at the carved images in the imperial walls. The legends that had arisen from the First Divine War. Kane being blinded. Ode rising up as Champion, legend. Sacrificing her own blood to win a war.

On the fourth, I call what's left of the Kona's crew to my chambers. Farzaneh took breakfast with me earlier, mango juice and dragon fruit with tapioca pudding, whole plates of smoked fish and a grainy Idriolan-inspired bread.

I look to Xander, an emptiness notable at his side. "What happened to Jun?"

He stares back at me, stone-faced. "Ode put an end to her resurrection spell. They're being given proper burials with the rest of the Rahasians... those that can be identified anyways."

I try to keep myself from smashing my forehead repeatedly against my cleared dining table. Farzaneh comfortingly puts her hand to my shoulder. What kind of captain doesn't even help his friend as he loses his wife for the second time?

I inhale, no time to falter. "I asked the Emperor to send a scout force to the Kona and have them sail on without me. You should join them before they depart."

They all exchange looks incredulously.

"Captain," Xander begins, "with utmost respect, I was just going to stay in Rahasia. Join the priesthood for the Blind God. Take an oath for complete isolation now that I've lost Jun. Maybe the solace of silence and the comfort of holy scrolls will console me."

Ali's next, emboldened by Xander's priestly declaration. She points to her neck, the swollen skin there, the still-glimmering pinpricks of tattooed ink, forming the jaws of a mighty dragon. "And the Queen of Thieves, Ratu, saw my knife-work in battle. Said I'd be a good asset to the Dragon Veil Gang."

Well, it's good to know some people have moved on with their lives.

I swallow, hard, not making eye contact with any of them, choosing instead to stare at a spot past them, out the window where the Imperial Guard trains. "Yes, right. The time for us helping the Divine is over. No more Champions or prophecies. It's best we make good use of it, adjust to mortal life."

I nod again, dismissing them. Xander leaves, his frustrated silence palpable. I don't delude myself into thinking we were ever friends. Ali lingers, a short bow. "It was an honor being your first mate, Captain." And, with a sad smile, exits the room.

Farzaneh stays behind.

"No, don't tell me," I cover my eyes with my hands. "You've decided to join Malika again as Queen of the Witches. Go on then, leave me too. I should think of joining a normal career. How does Lucky the Baker sound?"

Fari punches me in the arm, just enough to sting. I glare up at her, and she laughs. "Gods, it's good to see anger in those sandy eyes of yours. I was worried there was nothing in you left." An irritated smile tugs at my own mouth in answer, staring at her raven waves of hair, the emerald eyes, gleaming skin. Her familiar scent, coffee beans. "If I leave, who'll help you with the transition potions?"

"Ode's gone to fight them all in Lune, hasn't she?"

"Ode's stubborn. She's always thought she could take them all on by herself." Farzaneh shrugs. "She's like me that way, tackling too much at once. But she's softened lately. Malika says Ode knows she needs help, she just struggles in asking for it. She's waiting for Kane to awaken, but Aziz isn't complying in restoring him."

"Her silence is as good as a death sentence for me. There's no legends to be written about a pirate without a ship."

Farzaneh drags me to my feet, and though I'm taller than her, she makes me feel very small as she announces, "there's no legends to be written about someone who quits either, dumbass. Come now," she tugs me towards the door, "let's wake up the god of life."

***

Pirates,

ME: DON'T GIVE UP ON ME, LUCKY!

LUCKY: Why are you yelling at me?!

ME: I'M MOTIVATING YOU! THIS IS THE PART OF THE STORY WHERE I DELIVER A MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH AND YOU FOLLOW IT!

LUCKY: STOP MOTIVATING ME!

ME: I CAN'T! MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK!

-SOPHIA