Chapter Forty-Two

"The surgeries took place below the halls of the highest and most respected Lune University." Sol pointedly avoids the gods' burning gazes. Kane of silver. Ode of heated red and black.

The main crew: Ali, Malika, Kura, Farzaneh, and I. We form a half circle around her. All of us plotting in the captain's quarters. Docked a ways from the main port. Shielded by a cloaking spell to blend into the night.

"The humans should go first." Ode grimaces. "Not that I'm too sorry, humans. But if it's a trap, it's best that the strongest are outside of it." She leans forwards to clap me faux-sympathetically on the back. "So we can bail your sorry asses out of there."

Kane comes forwards, massaging his wife's soldiers, fingers kneading the temples next to her gray-shot, short raven curls. Her rejuvenated young face, aided by Aziz. "We'll follow at a distance." He amends.

Like that helps. Going in alone to face gods know what horrors in that scientific basement. What monsters. What machines. What unholy creations...

"Jumpy?" Fari teases, taking my silence for worry.

"No, thinking." I shake my head. "Like how we should get those student robes to sneak into the University in the first place."

Kura and Sol exchange a look.

"We have a plan." They reply in unison.

Eerie.

***

Kura puts a hand on her Diviner amulet to channel her illusory powers. Next, she waves her hands in a circular pattern over the metal parts of Sol's flesh.

The metal shimmers, and in the next instant, fades away.

Hidden by smoke and mirrors, Soleil is a regular young woman again. Soft brown eyes and skin. A couple regular warrior scars. A somewhat sharp smile, and supple lips twisted into a heart-wrenching grin.

She waits by a tavern, watching young scholars milling in and out of close range. Intoxicated by youth, folly, and horrible decisions. We watch, entranced.

"She looks good as new." Ali hisses.

"Better." Farzaneh whistles appreciatively. Kura silences her with a punch to the arm.

"She's a player." Kura admits, watching Sol set to work on the next group of young scholars flouncing and weaving outside the bar. 

Sol disappears behind some trees with some lovesick students in tow. Giggling. Silence.

A few moments later, Sol emerges with some mirrored student robes in hand, enough for us to sneak by. And spares for Ode and Kane.

"What did you do?" Kura raises a testy eyebrow at her. The rest of us, impressed.

Some flirt. Sol works fast.

Sol shrugs. "I paid them with some gold I stole from sailors off the ship." We all stare at her, dumbfounded. "Why, what do you think I did?"

Kura whispers something in her ear. Sol sighs, taken aback.

"Now, now, Kura. I told you my days of conquering the battlefield of love are over thanks to finally finding you."

Sol beams goofily as Kura snuggles into her arms, the illusion melting away as Sol returns to her usual, half-metal self.

I tap her on the shoulder. "I'm missing my rainy day money."

Sol waves me away, pushing a robe in my arms. "I got you one of these. Let's call it even."

***

Well, Pirates,

Sol's flirting skills are over 9000.

-Sophia