(1)

Chapter One

Aliyah P.O.V.

"You worthless piece of shit!" Eli yells at me, the palm of his hand coming in contact with my face. A tear slips down my face as I bring my own hand up to cuff my cheek. This has happened far too often, I can't remember a time we're together when it doesn’t happen. His aggressiveness overpowering his loving attitude I had first known.

Eli's knee connects with my stomach and I wince in pain, dropping to the floor. "That's what you get for being worthless!" He spits at me, exiting my house, where he so often abuses me. He beats me, in my own house, and that's the worst part about the whole thing. 

I wake up shaking, the memories coming back to my head. I stand up and change out of my sweat drenched clothes. Lately, these dreams, or rather nightmares, have been coming more often. Every night this week, I've had the nightmares of him hitting me again, even though I haven't seen him in months. Somehow all these dreams seem so real, just like when it actually happened to me.

I looked at the clock, barely past six o'clock. I shake my head and sit on my bed, running a hand through my hair. Eli has been out of my life for so long, but somehow there is still a little bit of him there, always haunting me, and scaring me half to death.

I turn on the shower and wait for the water to get warm. I brush through my hair and set a towel outside of the shower. I step into the shower as the mirror begins fogging up. I'm not very fond of taking a hot shower, I prefer to have cool, warm showers.

My phone buzzes, sitting on the bathroom counter. When it begins buzzing rapidly, I turn off the water and wrap my towel around myself, answering the call.

"Hey, Aliyah, I need a ride to school, David is mad at me and I really don't want to take the bus." Kayla groans into the phone and I put the phone on speaker and begin getting dressed. Her and her boyfriend, David, get into fights often, but they always get back together within a week, and they've been doing this since freshmen year.

"Kayla, why don't you just leave him already? He's been doing the same thing to you for almost four years, he tells you he loves you, then you believe him, then he goes and sleeps with another girl, then comes back to you." I sigh and pick up my phone, walking back into my room. Kayla has been my best friend since eighth grade, and she'll forgive you for anything, she's the most forgiving person I know, but I think it's about time she stops forgiving David, he's done too much damage.

"Ali, you know I love him, he was my first for so many things, and I have to keep trying with him. Anyway, will you give me a ride?" I tell her to be ready in thirty minutes and go back into the bathroom to put on my make-up and dry my hair. School, is one of my favorite places to be, it's where my friends are. Classes, I make average grades, I'm not a straight A student, but I'm not a failing one either.

I slip on my boots, the black color clashing with my white jeans and light blue hoodie. I'm not a fashionista, but I do care about how I look. I grab my car keys, and sling my backpack over my shoulder. It was rather empty, it only has one binder and a 'James Patterson' book I am currently reading. On the drive to Kayla's house, while stopped at a red light, a group of three teenage boys pull up in a convertible, similar to my own. They are blasting music and each of them has on a pair of black sunglasses. 

The guy driving, who has black, slicked back hair, pushes his sunglasses to the top of his head and looks over at me. "Take a picture baby, it'll last longer." He and all his friends found it rather hilarious, but it was stupid, every guy would say it, could he not think of something better to say?

"Maybe of that tree behind you, because its way more interesting." I pull my sunglasses over my eyes and continue my drive to Kayla's, she doesn't live far from our school, she could walk there in five minutes, but she's lazy.