Chapter 9

Lei's POV

Cleveland, Ohio

  SMACK. The sound echoes throughout the apartment. I look over at Bo to see him holding his cheek and the flowers on the ground. "Y'all have some fucking nerve coming here! Especially you Lei...after the bullshit you put Ty through!! She cried for days straight over your bitch ass! You know what?! I should whip your mother fucking ass!!" Ni Ni fumes as she cocks her left hand back. Shit, she is about to kill me. "ENOUGH. Did you not just hear me a few minutes ago... Ni Ni, all of us could potentially be in danger!" Ty stands in between us. "You really protecting this mofo?!" Ni Ni seethes. I look inside the apartment hoping to catch Day's eye. She makes eye contact with me. I give her a pleading look. "Look, I would like to renew my lease next month for this apartment. My rent is only $500, so I would appreciate if everyone would come inside and lower their voices. Y'all know uppity white folks will call the cops quick, fast and in a hurry over some noise." Day says to all of us. Thank God for her being the voice of reason right now. I push Bo into the apartment and shut the door behind us. Day motions us to take a seat in her living room. Bo and I sit next to each other on a futon. Ty and Day are sitting on a worn out beige love seat together. Ni Ni is pacing back and forth between the living room and kitchen while occasionally throwing glares in Bo's direction. Well, here goes nothing.

    "So, back to what I was saying, I had a serious conversation with Lei and he told me that..." Ty starts off the conversation. "Hold up. Ty, I know what you have to say is important, but we not just going to sit here and act like shit didn't happen between you and Lei. We not going to sit here and pretend like he did not hurt you. Lei did some foul ass shit and he needs to own up to it." Ni Ni says while exiting out of the kitchen. She is twisting a knife between her two hands. Shit. I visibly gulp at her. "I know Lei fucked up, but he was trying to protect his family and me. We thought you all were working for the Greeks. Honestly, if I was in his position I would've reacted the same way." Bo defends me. I wince at his words. Bo still doesn't know yet. "See Ty," Ni Ni looks in her direction "I can't deal with someone who can defend a person for almost committing rape, it's sickening!!" "WHAT?!?!" Bo stands up "You don't know Lei like I do! He would never do some stuff like that! Lei was right, Ty is just a liar filling your head with lies!" Bo gets in Ni Ni's face. Ty looks over at me. It is time for me to come clean. "Bo..." he looks in my direction "Ni Ni isn't lying...Everything happened so quickly that night and when you sent me that text...I lost it and took it out on Ty." I explain somberly. "Lei...how...why..." Bo looks at me in disgust. "I'm sorry." "Sorry, Sorry?!?! You just admitted to almost raping Ty! All you can say is "Sorry"?! I can't even stand to look at you right now." Bo walks out the room. "He really didn't know?" Ni Ni asks. I shake my head. "Damn..." she whispers while using her right hand to rub her left arm. She looks lost and confused. I could tell that this revelation is affecting her. I hope that since Ni Ni found out Bo was not aware of what I did to Ty she will forgive him. Or at least Ni Ni at least agree to speak to him. "Ni Ni go get Bo. We need to all sit down and talk." Ty comments.

   A few minutes later, Bo and Ni Ni enter the livingroom. Both of their faces are blank. I wonder if they had a moment to talk whatever is going on out. Ty gets up from the love seat and sits next to me on the futon. Ty then looks at Day and motions her to move. Day huffs and sits next to Ty. Bo sits in the loveseat and Ni Ni sits on the armrest next to him. I guess Ty figures that Bo doesn't want to be near me at the moment. I'm glad that she has such insight to situations like these. We sit in silence for a few minutes. "So...which one of y'all are going to tell us what is going on?" Day demands. Bo looks at me and I nod my head. I was tired of repeating what I told Ty to the girls. "Listen carefully and please don't interrupt. Lei's grandfather owned a transportation business. He would bring in and ship out all types of goods from the port of Shanghai for many important people. Some way, some how his grandfather began doing business with mafia families. The Huang family was one of his biggest clients. The Huangs are one of the oldest and most powerful mafia families throughout China. His grandfather passed down the business to Lei's uncle because he is the oldest son. Lei's uncle continued the business and transported thousands of illegal weapons for multiple mafia families. Remember the night we all went to the fight club?" all three girls nod their heads "yes"."Well Lei's uncle was there too and we had to meet with him. His uncle had a bad dealing with the Greeks and in retaliation they promised to kill off member's of the Hai family. However, Lei's uncle made a deal with the Huang family that Lei would run the business in exchange for protection. So, here we are. Did I forget something?" Bo looks at me. Yes, you idiot. You forgot to warn them that they are in danger. But, knowing Bo's petty ass he probably purposely left that out so I would have to tell them. " Um...they already murdered my cousin's husband...and attempted to kidnap my aunt. The Greeks sent photos to Bo and I of each of you, so you alll might be in danger." I rub the back of my neck. "Come again?" Day says to me. "The Greeks sent us photos of Ni Ni, Ty and you to us. So...yeah" I reply to her while looking at my hands. Again, we welcome deafening silence.

  "I know this is a lot for us to deal with...it took me a while to believe Lei myself. But we have to be careful of everything we do from here on out. Lei and I were talking a couple weeks ago and he suggested that it's for the best that we distance ourselves from relatives and close friends except for each other. We don't want to get any additional people involved. Its going to be hard...trust me I know for a fact. I haven't seen my mother in a week and I cut off Kirk last night. In the long run, though, it'll be worth it knowing that our love ones will be safe. Right, Lei?" Ty looks at me in my eyes. For a moment I am speechless, one because her confession about cutting Kirk off and two her beauty stuns me. Maybe there is hope for us after all. "Yes, what Ty just said. It's imperative that we monitor our interactions carefully so we can minimize the possibilities of the Greeks targeting your love ones. Bo and I will assign one person to be a body guard for each of you. However, I would prefer if Ty and Ni Ni fly out to New York every weekend so we can do our part in protecting you. Day, if Kevin is not up for the challenge then we don't mind watching over you too. I know this is a bit overwhelming, but just think it over." I finish up. "I'm down for the cause." Ty say in a thick accent. "I guess I am too. I don't want my family to get hurt." Ni Ni gazes in Day's direction waiting for her answer. "Kevin is flying in tomorrow, so I'll talk to him and make my decision. But since this is my house,  let me lay down some ground rules. Bo you can sleep on the futon and Lei I have an air mattress you can use. Don't steal shit and y'all have to pay for our food and liquor." Day says to us. "Oh, and before I forget, absolutely NO FUCKING, LICKING, or SUCKING in my house. Or I'm kicking everybody's ass. Got it?!" All of us nod our heads. Damn, this is going to be a long week.