Chapter 19

Lei's POV

April 28, 2019

Taste of China Restaurant

Manhattan, New York

"You're tripping. Ty isn't avoiding you. Didn't you say she's sick? Maybe it got worse and she's just drained." Bo attempts to reason with me. I know better, Ty is avoiding me. She hasn't returned any of my calls in two days. Whenever she replies to a text messages all of her responses are one to three words. I live and breathe this woman's essence....of course I can tell when something is wrong with her. I just wish I knew why she is acting this way. For the past couple of weeks, all I've done was be the perfect partner. I showered her with affection. Constantly reminding Ty how her natural beauty outshines every other woman on the planet. I bought her gifts, I listened to her talk about school and family life, I immersed myself into her life. I know that she was the one for me. This change in her demeanor is scaring and pissing me off at the same damn time. "Earth to Lei." Bo waves his hand in front of my face. "My bad, I was just over here thinking and reflecting on the past couple of weeks, but I'm telling you Bo, she is avoiding me. That's just like me telling you about Ni Ni feelings... who would know her better than you??" He nods his head in agreement. "You're right. You need to focus on this meeting though and worry about Ty later. Okay?" "Okay." I take a moment to fix my tie and smooth out any wrinkles in my clothes. Two days ago I received a call from one of the Huang's family members who asked to meet with me to discuss business. I'm wearing to a three piece navy suit with a pink collar, with a blue checkered tie hoping that upon first impression this clan leader would deem that I'm worthy. In social circles like the Chinese mafia, appearance means alot. It can determine if a partnership will flourish or if your body will be found floating in the sea.

"Excuse me waiter. Yes, Can I order a family size portion of Shanghai style fried noodles with pork, xiaolongbao and grilled oysters. Oh, and a bottle of your best wine." Bo hands the young woman all the menus. "Your food shall be out shortly." As soon as the hostess disappears, a man and woman walk up to our table. The man appears to be in his early thirties, average build and roughly my height. "Hello, you must be Lei and Bo. I'm the second in command for the Huang family. I worked under Mr. Jian." He shakes my hand first and then reaches over to Bo. I gesture to the man and woman to sit down and join us at the table. The young woman sits across from me and next to Bo. For fifteen minutes, we chatter away talking about work, sports, and traveling. It's an extremely pleasant conversation. However, I can tell it's just small talk. The guy is attempting to create a comfortable atmosphere before telling us the true intentions behind this meeting. Before I could ask about the meeting, the waitress arrives with all of the food. "Grilled oysters... my favorite." the woman makes eye contact with me, licking her lips before placing a oyster shell to them. That's....weird...and...uncomfortable. I look away from her. "So, to what do we owe the pleasure of this meeting to?" Bo says in a friendly tone. The guy takes a sip of water, gazes at Bo then me. Shit. He clears his throat. "I have come here to notify you that the Huang leader, Mr. Jian, is dead." "D-d-dead??" I stutter out. "Yes, unfortunately someone poisoned his tea. We reviewed tapes and it appears that one of Ambrosia's men slipped into his office while everyone was out of the building." I feel my forehead beginning to sweat. If the Greeks could get to one of the most powerful mafia leaders in the world, then I sure as hell don't stand a chance at all. The man's face looks guilty. "There's more..." Bo states instead of asking. "What the hell do you mean there's more!" I whisper yell. "The look on his face say it all." "Well, Bo is correct, there is more. Since, Jian is dead, the Huang family does not owe you any obligation at all." "Meaning, they will no longer protect my family..." I mutter out. I feel a sharp pain in my chest. Maybe its from the food, missing Ty, or the fact that Greeks could be hunting down my family as we speak, or the combination of all of that, but I've never felt so overwhelmed in my life. "Well, there is one way that the Huang family will continue to protect your family." The young woman say cheekily. I stare at her. This is my first time really taking in her appearance. She has pale, almost translucent skin. I can see some blueish green veins on her hand. Her eyes are small, slanted, and almond shaped. Her nose is perfectly sloped at a 45 degree angle. From the front view, the bottom portion reminds me of an arrow because its sharp and triangular. I take in her lips, which are thin and bright red. She is beautiful by traditional Chinese standards, but ever since I met Ty everyone else's appearance seems lackluster and average. My silence cues her to continue on. "As I was saying, there is one way that the Huang family will continue to protect your family. I am Jian's only child. If you marry me and consummate the marriage, then you will become the official leader of the Huang clan." Bo's cup slip out of his hand and crashes down on the floor. "And if I don't marry you?" I grit out. "Then your family will suffer the same fate as my father." she let's out soberly with a small grin as she sips her tea.