Prologue

•~=(Your POV)=~•

"Yes, (F/N), I'll be fine. No, they don't know! I want it to be a surprise," you say, talking to your best friend. You're on your spring break visiting Mexico to see your extended family, and, really, your only family. But, they've probably forgotten you by now. "Really, (F/N)? C'mon, I'm sure that they'll remember me when I see them. I mean, who wouldn't?" you grin, and they laugh over the phone. "Okay, okay, I'll get off now. Thaaanks mom!" you tease them, hanging up. Dropping your phone onto your lap, you look up ahead to the empty road.

After about a half hour of driving in silence, you hear a police siren and groan. This will be the third time you've gotten pulled over for speeding, and it won't be the last. Slowing down, you smoothen out your crinkled sweats and adjust your black tank top underneath you baggy sweatshirt, incase they pat you down. Wouldn't be the first time.

When there's a knocking on your window, you roll it down, expecting to see an officer. What you get is a sleazy looking guy in a rough outfit with sunglasses and a gun. Which is pointed at you. "Hey, wait-" you start to say, when he shoots you in the neck, nicking your carotid artery. Blood starts gushing out, and you can barely breathe.

The murderer unlocks your car door from the inside and pulls you out. Harshly dropping you in front of the police car, he gets in your van and speeds away. The moment he's out of sight, an officer gets out of the car and rushes to you.

But it's already too late.

~

Opening your eyes, you gasp for air and frantically sit up. Standing up, you face two skeletons with colorful designs on their faces, and their wearing everyday clothes. Screaming, you try to run for it, but the taller one grabs you, holding you down. "¡Oye! Cálmate, estás bien! ¡Estas bien! Shhh, no hay necesidad de tener miedo. Eso es. Cálmate," the other one says, gently yet firmly grabbing your shoulder.

Calming down, you stare blankly at the skeleton, which resembles a female. She sighs in relief, and continues talking. "Gracias. Ahora, mi nombre es Gloria Rodríguez, ¡y les doy la bienvenida a la Tierra de los Muertos!"

Furrowing your eyebrows, you try to make out what she's saying, but can't for the life of you. She seems to pick up on this. "¿Me entiendes? ¿Hablas español?" Another blank stare from you.

"What about now? Can you understand me?" she says, and you nod. "Yeah, now I can. But where am I? Who are you? Why are you two dressed like skeletons?" you ask, firing questions like a semi-automatic. Chuckling, the woman signals the taller male to let you go, and you stretch once he does.

The female skeleton gently takes your arm, and pushes up your sleeve to reveal bones. "N-No... No it c-can't be..." you shudder, backing up away from the guide. "I'm afraid so, Señorita...?"

"(Y/N). (Y/N) (L/N)."

"Well, (Y/N), I am Gloria Rodriguez, and I welcome you to the Land of the Dead!"