Chapter 4: Instinct

Eva jumped up with a gasp and she looked around quickly, feeling anxious and nervous. Blake put his hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

     "Hey, hey," He started. "It's alright. You're fine."

     "What happened??" She asked. "And why does my head hurt so bad?"

     "You split your head open on the pavement after the car blew up. We're back at the base, and Rubik fixed you up."

     "Rubik???"

     "Right, you were unconscious when he showed up." He gave a nervous laugh. "You'll meet him soon. Kyle went with the others to get Jace back to help us with our enemies."

     "Right, Jace," She sighed. "Let's just hope we can actually stop this newfound Brotherhood before something REALLY horrible happens." Blake responded with a nod and looked around.

     "Well, at least it's quiet right now," He pointed out and he took a seat right next to Eva. At that moment, Jace walked in with everyone else.

     "We're back, assholes!" He called out and Amaya popped her head in with her teleporting power.

     "That's always fun," Amaya said with a laugh, then ducked after hearing the sound of a bullet firing. Eva held up a pistol and Blake was ducked down with his eyes wide open.

     "Whoa! Let's not start with the fire fight!" Jace shouted! "Birdkid, call her off!" He called out as he blocked Amaya from any further shots that went her way. Blake had to yank the pistol from Eva's hand  and pulled Eva away.

     "It's okay, Eva!" Blake reassured her as he tried to keep emotions from flaring up any further.

     "It is most certainly NOT okay, Blake!" Eva shouted out as she kept her eyes on Amaya. "Why the hell is she here?!?!"

    "Nice to see you too," Amaya said as she rolled her eyes and put a hand on her hip. "Look, if you think I'm here to take over, I promise none of your boys have turned into my toys."

     "I don't even want to know what that means at all," Amp jumped in as he walked past Amaya. "Look, before we get back to this little fight between you two, because this is clearly very important, I would like to just point out that there are MUCH bigger problems at hand right now. Like um... Oh, what's that thing...? I just had it, it was on the tip of my tongue-- oh yeah. ALL OF YOUR ENEMIES GATHERING TO KILL US ALL!!!" He shouted as he looked at the two of them as he leaned on a wall. "So whatever beef you two have between each other, can you put it aside until we fix this first?" He asked the two women.

     The two looked at each other and gave a hesitant and reluctant, "Fine..." Eva put her gun down and stood back up on her feet, while Amaya fixed her hair and walked to the other end of the room.

     "Well Amp is right, we do need to figure out how to deal with our enemies all getting together," Kyle said as he moved over to get closer to everyone. "And I think the best place to start is to find out how exactly they all escaped. We all put them into a maximum security prison, right?"

     "The same one Blackout and Adrenaline Rush were put in," Jace chimed in. "They were the only prisoners there, and each one should have been placed into cells that resisted their powers."

     "So how did they all manage to escape?" Kyle asked. "Maybe we should look into investigating the security footage, or going their personally."

     "Leaving so soon?" A voice called out and everyone turned to look. "I just got here, and you're gonna leave?" Oriel had asked as he stepped into view.