Chapter 2

When we returned home with Piper, Elias wanted me to give her a bath first before telling her the rules about living here. "We're home, Silky." I said, walking in through the front door. Silky walked over to us from the kitchen with Ruth by her side. 

"Welcome home, Chise. Who's that?" Ruth asked, referring to Piper. 

"This is Piper. She's a sleigh beggy like I am. Piper, this is Silky and my familiar, Ruth." I smiled at Piper. She didn't say anything but nod her head. I think she was saying hello, or telling me that she understood. "The bath is this way." I led Piper to the bathroom and she took off her clothes.

 She got in the tub and held her knees tightly while I filled the tub with water. Piper is a very silent girl. She hasn't said a word to anyone after we left. 

"Hey, what are these?" I gently grabbed her arms and saw a few scars on her wrist. "What happened to you?" 

Piper frowned as she closed her eyes and took her wrist back, then shaking her head. I guess she didn't want to talk about it."

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I understand." I continued to smile at her. She reminds me of myself when I first came into this house. 

After I gave Piper her bath, I gave her some clothes. A long sleeve brown shirt and a red skirt. We went back to the living room and Silky gave Piper a snack. Elias was explaining the a few things to Piper as she eats her sandwich. 

I watch as Elias talks to Piper as Ariel and some other fairies fly around her. I wonder if they will test her loyalty. Just like the time I was first here. But I don't think Elias will allow that. Not again. But something about Piper seems...off. Not just because of the dark circles under her eyes, but something else. It's like she's been fighting for a long time. Fighting the creatures she's faced, or fighting to stay alive....

Piper's P.O.V.

I only know so little about the people living in this house. The girl and the man that bought me are named Chise and Elias. The girl in the pink dress is Silky, and the black dog is Ruth. I've heard stories about the black dog but I never thought that I would meet one in person. As for Silky... I think she is a banshee. That's why she is quiet. 

When Chise left, I was left alone in the living room with the man, Elias. He tells me the rules and what will happen while I am here. I listen closely so that I wouldn't get in trouble. Beside him, I see fairies flying around. 

They smile at me as they fly around my head. I shake with fear and shut my eyes, thinking that they are going to hurt me. "Hey, what's the matter? We're not going to hurt you!" One of the fairies tell me, smiling widely at me.

"Stop it, Ariel. You're scaring her." Elias tells the fairy, Ariel.

"Scaring her? There's nothing to be afraid about, child. I'm not that bad." Ariel and the other fairies continue to fly around my head. I open my eyes a bit and see that they are right. They are just flying...no harm done. "Hey, Ainsworth, who's the new girl?" 

"This is Piper. She will be living with us from now on. I'm only telling her the rules. Be on your way now." Elias tells them. 

"Okay, I'm going! I'm going! If you want to talk, let me know! By little wolfy!" Ariel and the fairies wave me goodbye and fly out the open window. 

After Elias tells me the rules and what will be going on during my stay, Silky takes me to an empty bedroom. I sit on the bed and lie down, but I do not go to sleep. I can't... I will see them again... It's been days since I've slept...no, months. I can't go to sleep... but I can't stay awake. But... I am so tired. I close my eyes for one second until....

"They're dead because of you!"

"What did you do!?" 

"You freak!" 

"Look what you did! You're a monster!"

"Get out of here!" 

"Leave!"

I gasp and bolt out of my bed. It's only been 2 minutes and the voices show up....Voices from the past. This is why I can't sleep... I just need to stay up a little longer... Until morning. 

"Hey there, little wolfy!" Ariel comes flying in the room through the window. Why are they calling me wolfy all the sudden? Is that my nickname for them? 

I can only look at the fairy and nod my head, saying Hello to her. 

"How are you holding up? Are you liking it here?" She smiles. 

I shrug my shoulders.

"Want to go out for a stroll? It's lovely outside and you could use some fresh air."

I shake my head no.

"Come on, it will be fun! That bonehead won't notice a thing. Just a short walk and you will be back before he notices your gone." 

I shake my head no once more and lie down on the bed, making Ariel think that I had fallen asleep. But I don't think she notices. She notices that I'm not interested.

"Man, you're a quiet one alright. Oh well! See you around!" Ariel flies out the window. The reason why I didn't want to go outside was because of the creatures... I'm just scared.... I don't know what to expect or who to trust.