Chapter 10.5 - Family Time

My whole family sat around the dinner table, and I smiled while Carter recounted his side of this afternoon' events. "Honestly, she was amazing! I came ready to track down a petty criminal and she practically handed him over in a package ready to deliver to the police!" "Maybe you can start joining us A," started Luke, "y'know, with some smaller missions and the like."  I do my best to conceal my smile, the irony of the situation far from being wasted on me. I give a shrug and reply with a noncommitting "Maybe".  I'm sure Mum can see the humor too. Luke's enthusiasm drops a bit, and I almost feel bad. I've always wanted for them to look and see I'm grown up enough to join them. It's almost a pity they came around too late. 

The conversation stops and we all occupy ourselves by shoveling mouthfuls of steak and fluffy potatoes into our mouths.  "So," I begin, "how's the PinK situation going?" 

Mike huffs and Luke looks pained. "Not very well. We've barely seen her since that last encounter. My eyes haven't been the same since." he explains. "Well did you at least do anything to stop her?" I ask, fishing for details and their next moves. Mike breaks into a grin and puts down his fork. "Oh yeah, we've been working on some new moves and one of em got her! I jumped her from above, and her flying sneakers failed her. Her arm's broken I reckon." Ugh, Mike's grammar is appalling. And calling my chunky heels 'sneakers'? It's almost an insult. Still, tonight's role is that of the supportive little sister on the sidelines. "Nice!" I reply. Lucky for me, my brothers aren't the suspecting type and none of them have made the connection that I've got a broken arm yet.

"Any plans for catching her? I mean, that's the plan right?" I ask, gathering information to use in my next felony. Carter looks around the room and leans in conspiratorially. "We've been working on a new trap, it's quite cool actually. But... if I told you I'd have to kill you!" He finished with a laugh. "Let's just say PinK's going to be in for a shock."