𝔱𝔴𝔬 | 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖔𝖋 𝖜𝖔𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WHEN THEY ARRIVED ON LAND,it was days later. The docks of King's Landing were filled with peasants who pointed in awe at the silver-haired Valyrians.

Rhaene waited impatiently as her golden stallion, Hura, was brought off of the ship. He was, true to his breed, a pale gold color. With eyes of honey, he watched his owner warmly.

When he was close enough, Rhaene took his lead from the crewmember and promptly hooked her foot in the stirrup, swinging herself up onto his back. The golden steeds of Driftmark were a hardy breed that could adapt to almost any climate. They were tall and thin, with silky hair that shimmered under the sunlight.

Maekar had a similar horse, though his was the color of ash. When they had both mounted, the two of them took off down the street, turning from the Street of Sisters onto the Kingsroad, where they then made for the Northern Gate of the city.

As children, they spent much time on the mainland. Most of it was in the North, around the Starks and the Mormonts, but they knew their way around King's Landing well enough.

Days turned to weeks on the road, with the two Targaryens alternating between horseback and riding in a carriage. Their luggage was not far behind.

It was near the end of the month-long journey that Rhaene finally had enough. She knocked on the side of the carriage and waited patiently for it to stop before stepping out.

She had changed into something less expensive than her normal dresses, opting for a dark leather jerkin. Underneath was a deep green undertunic, the wrists covered by leather vambraces to match.

Her pants were leather, too, but they had been softened for flexibility. They were fitted, drawn in by laces that ran up the sides of her legs. Her feet were covered by a pair of flat-bottomed leather boots.

She made her way over to her horse, swinging up onto his back and kicking into his side.

There was an hour ride left, at best, and she saw no reason as to why she couldn't ride ahead.

Soon, Hura's hooves were thundering against the Kingsroad. Heavy breaths left his nose, sweat seeping through his silky coat.

When Rhaene saw the smoke spire in the distance, she knew she had made it.

Winterfell stood ominously in the distance, its tall walls and towers a stark contrast to the ash-colored sky.

Hooves stopped beside her. "The North awaits, sister," Maekar said with a small grin, "as does your betrothed."

Somehow, that didn't comfort her any.

≽ ∗ ≼

Robb could hardly stand still. His jaw clenched and unclenched, and his eyes flickered around the courtyard. Her coach had arrived - where was she?

His question was answered when the gates opened again, and in came a single rider. The steed was beautiful, its rider even more so.

If he hadn't been biting his tongue his mouth may have fallen open.

Rhaene seemed less transfixed. Her eyes flickered around the castle before stopping on his freshly-shaven face, traveling from his forehead to his chin and back again. He was the same Robb, only a little older. She smiled softly.

Robb watched with an awed expression as she swung her leg off of her horse, her boot-covered foot hitting the ground. He could hardly tear his eyes away from her figure as she sauntered towards him.

She bypassed him, however, and went straight to Lord Stark. "My Lord," she greeted, curtsying gracefully, "I would thank you for welcoming me into your home, and into your family."

Ned Stark smiled kindly at the blonde. "The hospitality of Winterfell is yours, Lady Rhaene. Do with it what you will. Servants will be appointed to you. Anything you ask for, if it is in my power, you will have."

Rhaene curtsied again, shooting him a bright but tired smile.

Ned's wife, Catelyn Stark, offered the girl a gentle smile. "You must be tired from your long journey," she stated, "we'll have a bath drawn for you, and after, if you're up for it, there will be a feast held in your honor."

"Lady Catelyn," Rhaene grinned, "it has been years since I last saw you. You are as beautiful as you were ten years ago." She finally allowed her gaze to switch to Robb, who had yet to say a word.

Robb, who had been preparing to say something charming, felt his words die on his tongue as he met her light emerald eyes. She truly was enchanting. "My Lady," he finally forced out, "it is an honor."

Rhaene smiled at him, holding out her hand that donned jeweled rings.

Robb took it, bringing it to his mouth and pressing a kiss to her knuckles.

"The years have treated you kindly, Robb," was all she said. She sighed and turned to her guards, who stood at attention under the Princess' gaze. "Have Hūra and Sōves groomed and fed."

She walked off, led by a legion of handmaidens.

≽ ∗ ≼

Soon, she was inside and slipping her riding clothes off. Just as she took the last of her garments off, her door flew open. "Oh! I beg pardon, Mi'lady!" a woman gasped, "I had no idea you were in such a state!"

Rhaene let out a breathy laugh. "Come in, please," she said, "you have nothing to fear from me."

The woman closed the door and walked into the room completely, keeping her head lowered away from Rhaene's nude figure. "It truly was an accident, Lady Rhaene-"

"It is alright," Rhaene soothed, "and please, no formalities. Call me Rhaene."

"Of course, Lad- I mean Rhaene," she stuttered, blushing furiously.

Rhaene only smiled, laughing to herself as she moved to strip off her diamond jewelry. "What is your name?" she asked.

"Gemma," the girl replied timidly, "Gemma Snow." She had dark, almost black hair and honey brown eyes.

Rhaene blinked a couple times. "Snow? You're a bastard, then." She slowly placed her necklace on the bedside table.

"If that offends the Lady, I can inform Lady Catelyn and have her find a new handmaiden-"

Rhaene shook her head. "It does not offend me, pretty sparrow." She made her way towards the steaming bath. "I was only thinking on the strangeness of a bastard, how they are thought of as less because they weren't conceived within a marriage."

"It is the gods' will, I suppose."

"Your gods do seem to be very strict with their rules." Rhaene lowered herself into the bath, sighing at the warmth of the water and leaning her head back. "Would you assist me?" she asked, "my limbs ache from riding."

"At once, Mi'Lady." The girl sped around the room, collecting various sweet-smelling soaps before drawing up a chair to sit beside the bathtub. She dipped a sponge into the water, yelping as it touched her skin.

Rhaene's eyes snapped open at her pained sound. "What is it?" she asked quickly, concern breaking across her delicate features.

"The water - it's scalding hot!"

Rhaene didn't feel any more than a gentle heat.